• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Harmful? Electronic Frequency Waves...

o7sugar

Is it summer yet?? :)
Okay, so I was looking into getting a digital thermometer and came across the wireless ones. My first thought is since the main base has to send out frequency waves to "get in touch" with the wireless parts inside the tank, could this affect the cornsnakes at all?? Seeing that animals are alot more sensitive to electronic waves, and sound frequencies and other things much more than we are. Thanks for any help or advice anyone has to offer!
-Nicole-

It would probably be just as safe for your snakes as using a cordless phone, or wireless internet in the house. I wouldn't worry. "Electronic waves" used by these devices are often radio waves, which permeate our homes whether we use radios or not, so it wouldn't be changing anything as far as the snake is concerned.

It would probably be just as safe for your snakes as using a cordless phone, or wireless internet in the house. I wouldn't worry.
But the thing that's different is the cordless phone and such usually aren't inside your pets viv :) It would be in closer contact with said objects, perhaps having a bigger impact than what it would "normally" encounter ?

This entire planet is bombarded by radio waves and radar and micro and gamma waves every second of every day. I think you will probably be ok.

True, true ;) There's not too much I can do about myself, so I'm a little more concerned with potentially stressing the snake......although I guess I could just get rid of that possible scenario and veto the whole wireless digital, and go with just the regular digital with the probes :)

It will be fine. Snakes (and just about everything else) are completly insensitive to radio waves, especially at the frequencies wireless devices use. They are not sound waves, and snakes do not have radios installed.

Also, 'electronic waves' is a misnomer, as electricity cannot travel wirelessly, with the exception of a welding arc or similar discharge. Radio waves do not carry electrical charges, they are a form of radiation, the same as light, microwaves, etc.

Okay, so I was looking into getting a digital thermometer and came across the wireless ones. My first thought is since the main base has to send out frequency waves to "get in touch" with the wireless parts inside the tank, could this affect the cornsnakes at all?? Seeing that animals are alot more sensitive to electronic waves, and sound frequencies and other things much more than we are. Thanks for any help or advice anyone has to offer!
-Nicole-

It will be fine. Snakes (and just about everything else) are completly insensitive to radio waves, especially at the frequencies wireless devices use. They are not sound waves, and snakes do not have radios installed.

Also, 'electronic waves' is a misnomer, as electricity cannot travel wirelessly, with the exception of a welding arc or similar discharge. Radio waves do not carry electrical charges, they are a form of radiation, the same as light, microwaves, etc.

It would probably be just as safe for your snakes as using a cordless phone, or wireless internet in the house. I wouldn't worry. "Electronic waves" used by these devices are often radio waves, which permeate our homes whether we use radios or not, so it wouldn't be changing anything as far as the snake is concerned.

"Electronic waves" do not refer to electricity but to electromagnetic radiation which includes visible light, x-ray, microwave, infrared, ultraviolet and radio frequencies among other divisions. Radio waves are "the same" as the other types in that they are a class of electromagnetic radiation, but they have different frequencies and thus different energies.

Not to be nit-picky, but we really don't know whether or not snakes are completely insensitve to radio waves. There are no controlled studies of this to the best of my knowledge; lack of obvious reaction on the part of the snake does not necessarily correlate with lack of effect.

Humans, for example are "completely insensitive" to gamma radiation in the sense that we can't see, smell, feel, hear or otherwise know that we are being exposed to it. Of course large doses of it will kill us just the same. Don't take this as an argument that radio waves are inherently dangerous. I'm simply stating that there's no data about their effect on snakes.

Obviously placing a transmitter or a receiver inside a viv is potentially a bit different for the viv's inhabitant than not having one there. Radio waves travel quite well through glass or plexiglass, so your snake is already being exposed to these waves. Wade's right; there's no reason to think this is a problem, and no reason to think a device inside the viv is a problem either. This thread just brought out the Chemistry & Physics teacher side of me. :idea:

Oh my goodness, she is beautiful and smart too. Now that is my kind of women.
Thanks, Wade. Unfortunately I'm aware that "female and breathing" are your primary criteria, so I already had you there, right? :sidestep:

(You know I love ya, right?)

Well I am happy with my orientation. Female and Smart are on my list. I would have to look and see if breathing is there.

Back