• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling attached to yolk sac

Jessica71

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice as I've read about this in books, but not the situation where the snake is outside the egg and the yolk sac is still inside the egg.

I have a clutch of 18 corn eggs from which 10 healthy babies have hatched so far, and there is only one egg so far that has not pipped. So I have six pipping at present and one little snow corn that, instead of just pipping like the others and staying like that for usually 24 hours, came halfway out of the egg immediately yesterday afternoon. It's now 9:30am and the snake is completely out since last night, but attached to the yolk inside the egg. I know that when a baby is still attached to its yolk sac, it should be put on damp paper towels and left, but I can't move the egg as it's in a clump with others pipping, and I don't like to expose the yolk unless you guys think I should, because it has more protection in the egg from drying out. The baby seems fine. What should I do? Shall I just wait or should I open the egg and take out the yolk? (my feeling is to leave well alone, but I'll do whatever's best for the baby). How long will it take for the cord to drop off and free the baby? The perlite is nice and moist so the baby shouldn't dry out in the egg box.

Thanks for any advice.

Jessica

Attachments

• Copy of P7020138.JPG
    Copy of P7020138.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 97
Sorr, I don't know why the picture came out so badly. I'll try again.

Attachments

• Copy (2) of P7020138.JPG
    Copy (2) of P7020138.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 98
BTW, the two long thinner eggs are from my female trinket snake! They're much earlier into incubation so I put them in with the corn eggs - they're on day 21. :)

Good news - the hatchling has now detached itself from the egg. It seems fine and the yolk seems to have gone from the egg so it must have absorbed it ok. It's not my fattest hatchling so I won't let it go too long without feeding, but seems fine in itself. There's a small stalk of cord left but I assume this will shrivel up and drop off.

Back