• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling Cage

Kbods

I recently got a neodasha cage (34x17x17) from a friend whose boa outgrew it. I am going to use this as a corn cage but am not sure if I am going to for a hatchling. It has a small space in between the glass and that plastic that I am worried about. The space is about 1/2 cm at the widest part. Would it just be better if I get a 10 gallon aquarium for a while until he is big enough for the cage?

CAGE.jpg

This is just my opinion remember;

I believe a hatchling corn will be out that gap in a matter of seconds. You may have a few options to consider. If the cage is already heated adequatlyyou could use a sterilite tub (avail. at walmart) for a while untill the youngun' grows, or you could use a glass tank with an escapeproof top in that cage aslong as there is enough thermogradient.
Another option is to slice a strip of flexible tubing and silicone it onto the edge of the glass to fill that gap. Allow ATLEAST a week for the silicone to cure as the vapours can be lethal.

I am no expert at all, however I do know that corns in particular are escape artists! I have an adult female that could teach Houdeni (sp?) some tricks.

Welcome by the way :)

I would say yes to getting an alternate cage for a while. A half centimeter is more than enough room for a small hatchling to wiggle through, or trap and injure himself.

If you get a 10 gallon, the "Critter Cages" with the built in sliding tops are more secure for tiny hatchlings than trying to clip on a seperate screen lid.

There are also plenty of cheaper DIY options like plastic shoeboxes and Sterlite containers that make great hatchling starters. Here are two of my new additions. There is a heat mat on the shelf between them that is hooked up to my main thermostat. The tubs are just sitting on the shelf so they each catch a few inches of the mat. I paid about $3 for each container at Big Lots and drilled the holes myself. Hopes this helps give you some ideas.

Scott

Attachments

• Hatchling tubs.JPG
    Hatchling tubs.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 73
OK thanks for the help. Looks like I am looking for a new cage. I have a 10 gallon, but the top of that is worse then 1/2 a centimeter hole. I think I'll take a trip to wal-mart tomorrow and see what I can pick up for it. Any Idea how long until he can go into the neodesha cage or is that different for every snake?

Back