• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP

Jtcorn

Hey everyone, hey got a quick question, feed my snake sat. night and ever since he has been under his water bowl not coming out at all, his water bowl is on the cool side of the tank, i have not seen him out none since i feed him. If i lift the water bowl up he fine but i just leave him alone. was wondering if hes just coming out at night and i prolly ant seen him or if hes bout to shed because ive had him for about two weeks now or maybe three and he ant sheeded yet. Thanks Joe

He's fine.

Corns hide away after eating, to digest. The process can take a few days, so two days is normal and he might be under there for a while yet (depending on the size of the meal).

Not all of them like to spend time on the warm side. As long as you have at least one hide on the warm side, then he should use it. My only concern would be that he may not feel secure in the warm side hide? Maybe add some ground cover over there, like plastica foliage. You could even try the inner cardboard tubes from kitchen paper or toilet roll, cut in half lengthwise.

You should definitely avoid handling him for around two days after eating, otherwise he might throw up (regurge).

He might be due a shed, but it's more likely that he's still digesting. They shed at different rates, depending on how old they are and how much they eat. Hatchlings shed about every 4-6 weeks, a full-grown adult sheds 3-5 times a year. A you've only had yours for 2-3 weeks, it's fine that he hasn't yet shed even if he's a hatchling.

Ok sounds good. I was just worried lol. but ok i got it now. Like last time he did stay under the warm side for like 3 days so i guess this time just went with the cool. lol Thanks alot and would you recomend checking on him day bye day. like lifting up his water bowl or no.

I wouldn't check on him, but that's just me. He will come out when he's done digesting. Though, I can certainly understand the anxiety.

I was talking about like making sure he was ok under there lol. but ya its all good hes out and on the warm side tonight.

I check on mine every day to make sure they didn't escape or something.. lifting the bowl for a second isn't going to hurt anything.

I tackle that problem by keeping all my snakes in secure enclosures.... ;)

~Doug

Oh, they are all in secure enclosures, but I still like to make sure the little beasties are there/haven't managed to injure themselves. Especially the two I have in my showcase cage. I worry about the three in tubs too, I used to duct tape the lids down and put books on top because I was so worried about escapees haha.

Joe, I would definitely recommend not to handle your snake within 2 days of feeding. BUT, I would recommend checking in other ways, namely by smelling. It is best to clean up poop immediately, and it gives you the knowledge that your snake ate and digested well. Also, it will tell you if he regurgitated (threw up), which also needs to be cleaned up right away, and then you must be careful about feeding him next time (please read the recent posts about the procedure). Even by now you probably know what to smell for, but if it is more sulpheric (like rotten eggs) than usual, you should definitely search the tank for a regurge.

I tackle that problem by keeping all my snakes in secure enclosures.... ;)

~Doug

It's still worth checking on for a new owner, for emotional security if nothing else. But my line of work has taught me that you can never determine something to be completely secure; it is simply logically inconsistent. Secure enough is about the best you can do, and for any new variable (owner, snake, enclosure), that enough can take some time to determine. Considering how much an escape can suck, it is absolutely worth the caution to determine.

Back