• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

hi im back and ive got a question

hi and im sorry i havent been on for a while anyway i recently got a bearded dragon on 28th of january and he has became very strange like he is all bright and happy then he looks like he wants to kill himself. what i mean by want to kill himself is one minute he is happy the he changes colour and not eat and look all depresed and he will sleep all day without moving then he will get up the next day all bright and exited. so is there any thing wrong or is it ok? thanks for any advice

i am feeding it crickets sometimes locusts and as a treat wax moth lave and i give it collard greens and watercress every day

Hi,

I remember you posting a thread about your beardie before, in which some people raised concerns about your heating and UV. How is this coming along now? What is the temp and lighting like in your beardie's cage?

Okay, try and obtain a basking spot that's between 100 and 105 degrees F. No, what I meant with regards to the UV question, is what's the numerical rating on the tube? Like 5.0, 10.0 etc.

How are you measuring the temps? Are you using stick-on thermometers?

Also, is the beardie still in the conservatory? If so the temp may be fluctuating too much.

the rating is a 10.0 for uvb im using a stuck on thermometres and yes he is still in the conservatory that is the only room i got space for my reptiles

Okay that rating's fine. Try and get a digital thermometer, stick-on thermometers can be really innaccurate. So you have absolutely no space other than your conservatory? Conservatories get really cold at night, you must know that, right? That can actually be pretty dangerous.

yes i know it can get really cold at night that is why i put a heater in there. and i have not got any room any where else otherwise i would take them out of the conservatory thanks for allyour help :)

As Dave said, the stick-on thermometers aren't that good. I recommend you get a digital one with a probe. They aren't expensive at all.

Can you maybe move things about a bit - maybe move some things in to the conservatory to free up space elsewhere? I know it sounds like a lot of hassle, but you sound pretty concerned about your beardie and conservatories can get very hot/very cold at different times. Maybe that's why your dragon seems to be experiencing frequently changing 'moods.'

Is the heating on a thermostat? Any heat you use must be controlled or that can fluctuate, too.

the heating is controlled by a thermostat i will try to make room but it will be difficult because i live in a small house and thanks for the advice on the thermometre i will get a digital one and thanks again for the help :)

I think it's neither here nor there, really. Crickets are cheaper and you certainly get more for your money, but in terms of nutritional value I think they're about the same. Locusts are easier to catch and digest, mind you. Because of their price, it'd be good to mix it up a little, so for a week or so go with crickets, then go with locusts for a few days. Makes it a bit more interesting for them. :) How old is your beardie?

Just bump the basking temp up using your thermostat mate, and it should be okay. :) Keep the heater at around 75 (24C) if you can.

Okay, well you should be making sure that greens and the occasional pieces of fruit (finely chopped, of course) are now making up the majority of his diet. :)

Have you got a book on Bearded dragons?

Back