• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hidebox Frusterations..

Labinnah

At the moment, I have a pair of large blizzard corns in a 55gallon. At both ends of the tank are hideboxes, one end has an empty cereal box and the other has a plastic shoebox with a hole in it. In the shoebox is semi-damp moss (not even near soaking, just damp and nothing else), in the other is nothing. The tank is warm and not very humid, but I kid you not, I am starting to have a horrible problem with mold. The substrate is newspaper, which is changed out every other day at this point (and I've replaced the cereal boxes several times now). Within 24 hours of changing it out though, a white, fluffy mold starts to grow. Same with inside the hideboxes and it's driving me nuts. I've tried sterilizing, changing the temperature, everything. Despite the lack of humidity (with the exception of the shoebox) this stuff is growing at a pace that's driving me nuts. I've since then moved the snakes into a temporary enclosure while trying to figure out what to do about this problem. If anyone knows what I should do, it'd be appreciated immensely.

Where is the mold growing? On the paper? In the corners of the tank? In the shoebox?

Try putting in paper towels instead of newspaper and see what happens and use tupperware instead of a cardboard shoebox.

What's your heating like? UTH? Bulb?

Hullo!
It's growing both in the shoebox and on the paper, the shoebox seems to get a lot more a lot faster though. I've tried paper towels before as well, and the same thing seemed to happen, so I switched back to newspaper. The heating is from bulbs, there's not really a way I can install an UTH on this set up (though, if it's absolutely necessary, I can try to make some changes).

Also, your avatar is adorable!

Back