• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Houston Start Up Help

Ron C

My 11yo daughter are researching our first snake and set-up.

First off, what a great board this is. Lots of good information.

We are located in northwest houston, and would like any input on local breeders. I have been searching and came across Houston Herpetological Supply http://www.houstonherp.com/ . Any input on these guys, or maybe a steer towards anyone else? Searched the forum and didn't come up with much.

We are going to be looking for something other than a hatchling, preferably a corn that is a little more grown, eating well on f/t and established. We aren't looking for anything fancy. My daughter has grown a very big interest in snakes, and wants to learn more about their husbandry. She has proven herself in the past with the care of animals, and I will be by her side.

I think we have our set-up planned pretty well, thanks to this board. The corn will be housed in at least a 30 gallon set-up with aspen substrate and UTH via a thermostat, with proper hides, climbs, water access and temp gradient of 82 to 70ish. I am more than a little picky about all of our animals care and set-up, and our new addition will probably live one of the more cush lives a snake could want. LOL.

Well, enough of the rambling for now. I will probably be back with more questions as we plan and get the viv set up.

Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like things are going very well for you so far. As far as breeders in Texas go, there are several members of this forum from Texas who might be able to give you some more exact advice about your area. One of the most recommended breeders around is Don Soderberg of South Mountain Reptiles and he is located somewhere in Texas. You might try searching that on this forum or google. Good luck with your search!

good for you!

I must commend you for helping out your daughter, while growing up, my folks didn't want me having any animals, though they did let me have fish. Which I took to the extreme, six diff tanks in my bedroom, plus sneaking in that baby snapping turtle...and somehow my sister talked them into letting her have a parakeet, and so they let me have one too...and then sister lost interest...so suddenly I had two parakeets...then three...LOL! Anyhow, it's great seeing parents getting involved with their kid's interests. And thus enabling them to have a good successful experience thanks to your support and willingness to learn everything that you can. As a seller last month at a show, I saw a couple examples of this and was very happy to help people start out with their first corn snake. Made me realize my months and months of hard work were well worth the smiles on customers faces. You are indeed best off buying a corn direct from a breeder. Though there can be good pet stores out there, the majority don't give their stock the best of care! You can search the classifieds section on this forum for animals. Well established corns should have no troubles with overnight shipping to your door. Enjoy, and we look forward to seeing pics and hearing about whatever corn you do plan to purchase! Welcome.
Russell

CSAdultOkeeteeFemale.jpg

Back