• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How adorable is this?!?!

wax32

ALL YOUR BASE
One day old Mississippi Mud Turtle:

2010_dec_mud.jpg

His egg took four months to incubate at about 80 degrees.

I've offered him ReptoMin and also thawed Mysis shrimp, so far no luck. I reckon he is still on yolk nutrients.

Hehe. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna go to the bait shop and buy some red wrigglers... see if he will eat them.

Anyone have any experience with feeding a turtle this small?

It took my painted turtles about a week to start attempting to eat things in their enclosure. I also assumed they were living off the yolk nutrients.

It took my painted turtles about a week to start attempting to eat things in their enclosure. I also assumed they were living off the yolk nutrients.

Thanks for that. I kinda figured. How did you set them up? I have this guy in a sterilite shoe box with aspen and a little deli-cup lid with some water in it. He seems to like to burrow in the aspen. I plan on picking up a UVB 5.0 Compact Fluorescent bulb for a clamp lamp. Not sure at what point he will want/need deeper water. I've been looking around on the net a bit, but nothing really talks to deeply about BABY mud turtles. :D

Thanks for that. I kinda figured. How did you set them up? I have this guy in a sterilite shoe box with aspen and a little deli-cup lid with some water in it. He seems to like to burrow in the aspen. I plan on picking up a UVB 5.0 Compact Fluorescent bulb for a clamp lamp. Not sure at what point he will want/need deeper water. I've been looking around on the net a bit, but nothing really talks to deeply about BABY mud turtles. :D

You need to get that turtle into shallow water. Mud and musk turtles are still aquatic turtles. Most of them rarely, if ever, leave the water even to bask.

I keep my three striped mud turtle in a 20 gallon long tank with an Eastern Paint. He is very active and swims a lot. He eats pellets, but relishes worms, bugs and other live foods. They have a UV daylight bulb along the length of the tank and a heated basking area. I've only ever seen the painted turtle basking. The musk turtle never has, to my knowlege.

Thanks!

Yeah, I found some good info on Austin's Turtle Page. I've now got him in a critter keeper with about 1.5" - 2" of water and a fake plant laid sideways for him to hide under and climb up to breathe. I got a clamp lamp and a UVB bulb. Didn't bother with a basking lamp, as everything I have read suggests they don't bask at all.

He is SO adorable!!!

On the red wigglers, I've read they're toxic... On this garter snake care sheet, under "food types": Beware not to feed "red wigglers". Red wigglers are identified by their reddish color with light banding as in these pictures. When bothered, red wigglers secrete a yellow/orange slime that smells very bitter and is extremely sticky. This substance makes these worms toxic and many snakes may sicken, regurgitate or even die after eating these worms. Red Wigglers are often sold as Panfish worms, trout worms or compost worms. They are not earthworms and are not an acceptable food for snakes.

Not written for turtles, I know, but certainly enough to cast doubt on the safety of red wigglers.

Also, you mention you have a UVB in a clamp lamp--is it a coil bulb, then? Those are known to cause serious eye problems in reptiles. Not sure how it would affect an aquatic turtle that spends the vast majority of its time underwater, but they're known to cause serious health concerns in other, more land-dwelling UVB-dependent reptiles.

Just my $.02 on those matters... Good luck with the little fella!!! :)

Well, the caresheets I've seen specifically mention red wrigglers for muds. Natural food I reckon. And yes, its a coil, ie compact fluorescent. I've used them for fish, snakes and frogs. Never had a problem, that I know of... can you point me to a link mentioning problems?

Here is something I found on Austin's Turtle Page forum:

"I have a red wiggler worm farm and have been feeding my turtles them for 3-4 years now. The only info I can find regarding their toxicity is primarily to garter snakes.

Yes snakes and turtles are reptiles...they're cold blooded, lay eggs, have scales..but that doesn't make them the "same". Each species has things they can eat, love to eat, or can't eat. Just look at tortoises to get a good idea of how varied food can be between them. Some can eat fruits, to others fruits could kill them eventually.

I cannot locate any information regarding wigglers being toxic to turtles. Honestly I'm not worried about it. If my turtles have been eating them for 4 years and are thriving, with never a health issue...then my personal opinion is that they aren't bad for my turtles."

So I have him set up like this now:

2010_dec_mud4.jpg

2010_dec_mud3.jpg

Better close up without the incubation media on him and not so dehydrated looking.

Back