• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how and where to sell babys

Chris.and.Jamie

First let me address the moderators I've read the rule on posting sell adds and I hope this doesn't violate that, we currently have a troublesome clutch of dehydrated eggs and I really don't want to get blocked please let me know if I'm over the boundries.

WE HAVE NO INTENTION TO SELL ON LINE NOT ONLY, WE ARE NOT PROPERLY EDUCATED ON HOW TO SAFELY PACKAGE OR SHIP SNAKES NOR OR WE INTERESTED IN LEARNING THIS TIME AROUND.

Ok so to my question where is a good place to list locally I'm leary of the scams that go with craigslist, do I have to have some kind of special permits to see if pet stores are interested I don't want to walk in and look like a fool. How do you go about pricing your babies I mean area supply and demand I get but simple morphs that I hope to produce I mean I want them to go to good homes and all but would also noy like to be taken advantage of in the process of our first sell.

Any and all advice is appreciated and again if I'm out of line my sincrrest apologies I truly am just seeking advice

I would definitely try Craigslist. You can also use ebayclassifieds or your local paper (although the paper usually has a fee to post an ad). You can also list on Faunaclassifieds and just state in your ad that you can't ship, so local sales only.

I'm not sure how selling to pet stores works, although I'd personally rather find good homes than leave it up to the pet store. I'm sure they would explain it to you if you gave them a call.

If I were you I would buy a contributor button and then advertise them on here for local sales. Then you wouldn't get banned, nor would you have to worry about the scams that occur on craigslist.

Do you think there are enough dallas/ft worth members that would make it worth while, I mean I'm inexperienced and unproven I just don't think anyone on here would waist there time with my snakes given the tremendous options that cs.com has available. How much is a contributor classification and qhere does the money go I mean is it for site upkeep or does it go to any kind of charitable reptile organizations ?

I had a clutch of 17couple years ago. Some I sold on craigslist an the others I gave to a local reptile store for store credit. He in turn took them with him to a reptile show with other critters he had an sold them all there.

Try a local expo, that can also put you into contact with local breeders with specific advice/suggestions for your area.

When I got into this hobby, it was a much better market. I could basically count on selling out at local shows, as well as bunches through local want ads. My advice for that is meet them in a grocery store parking lot, do NOT let them into your home. You *will* eventually have weirdos show up at your place that you wish didn't know where you live.

The problem today is partly the economy, and partially how many people that own a couple of corns just have to breed them. So the market is over-saturated with common mutations. In a large metropolitan area like Dallas, I would expect there are many legit pet shops. Box stores should probably be avoided, unless they are one of the rare ones with some great employees. But a good pet shop can create a real win-win situation trading your babies for goods that you need. You won't get rich doing that, but you might pick up some frozen rodents and a heat pad or three for your trouble. With one clutch, you should be okay placing a few babies.

And I must spread some rep around before giving Gelshark more.

No offense to CS but lately I have had better success selling other places. I kinda hate the way the cs ads are set up. They don't expire so you can relist them, you have to bump them. And if you wait too long you are no longer able to delete them and then people contact you months later about old ads. I get the contributor medallion more because I like the site than because I want to sell them on here. Others may have a different experience but that has been mine lately as a small scale (a few clutches per year) hobbyist.

Do you think there are enough dallas/ft worth members that would make it worth while, I mean I'm inexperienced and unproven I just don't think anyone on here would waist there time with my snakes given the tremendous options that cs.com has available. How much is a contributor classification and qhere does the money go I mean is it for site upkeep or does it go to any kind of charitable reptile organizations ?
It is $25 to become a contributing member for a year. The money goes towards the upkeep of the forum :)

If you have a good pet shop near you call them up and ask them what their policy is for buying hatchling snakes. I think the worst thing they could say is they aren't interested.

And I must spread some rep around before giving Gelshark more.

I meant no disrespect to gelshark was simply replying sorry if it came across rude, I just meant to say that I was hoping for local advice like that I got from the last posters rather than to try to compete with experienced breeders right now.

Do you have a local reptile club? It's a great way to meet people that are also reptile enthusists and may be willing to take one. If it's a clutch of normals, amels, etc there just isn't really a big market for them. Local petstores are always an option (check out how well they care for their stock though)

I've sold some babies through a different, british website (Obviously I can't ship to the US!) but I did get weary of waiting on expected viewers who didn't turn up and didn't even call to say. So now I sell to local, good pet / reptile stores. Which gets me discounts on supplies and feed. I don't get such a good price per hatchling, but it takes out all the headaches. As Chip says, there are some strange people around that you might not want to give the chance to have a look around in your home.

A local pet shop is always glad to get some extra babies, as long as you don't expect to get a retail price for them.

I still do ok selling snakes here, but as Jen said there are other methods as good or better than CS to sell . I was surprised at how well FB has worked for me. I'm not a fan of Craigslist, for buying or selling stuff, but it seems to work for folks. And common stuff like normals, amels, anery A's etc are an easier sell than morph combo's that command higher prices; they appeal to a broader market. Most folks who are new to the hobby like to "get their feet wet" before considering spending a hundred (or hundreds) dollars on a "snake"

Dave I used to do it that way but I gave up my personal forum a while back when I didn't have the funds to renew it or time to keep it up to date. I was actually under the impression that the ability to move threads had been taken away from subforum moderators ever since I did that, I forget who told me that. At any rate it's a lot of extra keyboard time to move and then delete threads. I would be on FB a lot more if it didn't crash my older computer but I might have to start experimenting how much I can do on there with my kindle fire since it works ok on that.

I bought a milk snake from Craigslist, and it turned out to be a good thing because now I plan to have this smaller breeder come up my way for a reptile education thing later this year. I wouldn't have heard of him otherwise. My friend bought a bearded dragon off of Craigslist that turned out to be a beauty. Pictures did not do his bright orange and red justice!

Anyway, wanted to say that there are some legitimate people that buy animals on CL. I found the milk snake while searching for a bearded dragon for my friend!

There are all kinds of forums to sell on...some require fees like kingsnake. Most people breed after they have the logistics figured out. I'm hoping this happened because you didn't know the snake you bought was gravid instead of say...co-habitating leading to unwanted pregnancies. If you're having issues with dehydration that has to be addressed first or it won't matter about selling anything. Eggs should be in perlite or vermiculite. I prefer perlite since you can't drown eggs in it. Wet it until it clumps, put it in a plastic tub, put the eggs in there and close the lid. Put tub in warm spot like on top of fridge, stereo or a room where it stays reasonably warm. At 80 degrees the eggs should hatch around 69 days or so. I sold mine on my website, this forum, and at reptile shows. I rarely sold to petstores because I care about where my snakes go. The only time I did that was when we ended up moving away faster than expected. I sold my babies to a local petstore that I had done business with for years. I knew they took good care of their reptiles, I gave them full feed/shed records, animals were sexed. They knew me and gave me top dollar but don't expect much from a petstore. LLL will buy lots of snakes too but they pay very little for them.

Back