• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How can I secure a sterilite bin

JW360

Some of you may know that I received two baby corns from SMR for the price of one. Any ways my wife said I can keep the second one, but for the time being until she made up her mind I have housed them together in my 10 gallon aquarium. I know this is highly not recommended, but she finally said I can keep the second one. I have extra sterilite bins that I had purchased a while back to make a leopard gecko rack. I haven't built the rack yet, but can I house one of the baby's in a stand alone bin? How do I secure it from escaping?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Are you meaning around the edge and the lid to make a seal almost?

Around the whole thing at both ends, and maybe crossways as well. So two straps close to the ends, and then one going across longways crossing both the straps at the ends. Does that make sense? A velcro strap going around both ends is probably sufficient, though. Some people use velcro to secure screen lids to tanks as well, so same concept.

Here's another example, the velcro doesn't encircle the tank, but wraps from the top to the side: http://www.herpcenter.com/ball-pythons/40700-escape-artist.html there's pictures a few posts down.

Sweet ill try that I may have to use tape till tomorrow. I'm not able to get to the store today.

Does it have clips? I know it isn't always recommended, but I trust the clips enough for babies. I've never had an escape from a tub with clips.

Do you have any of the Sterilite shoebox bins? That would work as a temp bin for a hatchling.
I have used binder clips on the edges of bins to secure the lid to the bin before.

If it's the right kind of bin, this is what I do. Works for the standard size Sterilite models - 1753 (15 qt) and 1755 (32 qt).

I have the 6qt shoebox been model number 1642 the lid just kinda snaps on there is no latch or anything

Lil Missy gets a heart bowl and I found some large rubber bands for now and I'll put a book on top also hopefully she doesn't get out with all that.

Attachments

• WP_20140304_001.jpg
    WP_20140304_001.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 38
  • WP_20140304_002.jpg
    WP_20140304_002.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 38
I have a MBK baby in a 6qt with a binder clip on each side (on the long sides) and a rock hide on top. (She's in quarentine).
My history of escapes has been mostly Kingsnake babies, and so far it is working at keeping her in! LOL

Nice well so far she is fine ill keep an eye on her but I don't think she is getting out. I'll get Velcro tomorrow for sure. I think it would be a lot easier for me to get in instead of the rubber bands.

Why is she in quarentine?

Nice well so far she is fine ill keep an eye on her but I don't think she is getting out. I'll get Velcro tomorrow for sure. I think it would be a lot easier for me to get in instead of the rubber bands.

Why is she in quarentine?

Because she's new, and I quarentine my new animals. :)

I would probably put something somewhat heavy on top of that, in addition, they can be tricky about getting out. It might be ok with just the rubberbands, but I like to be extra careful.

Nope Nope I have the greatest bins that do not require any tape and snake will not escape from them.
For small snakes: Modular Stacker by Sterilite, 16 quart/4gal. This is a well made box with a non bending lid.
For larger snakes: Ziploc weather tight Box. It has two latches on the long sides and one each on either end. Your snakes will be safe. Don't forget to drill your holes.

Here is a photo of the modular stacker.
ba3u7avy.jpg
e5uqa8yd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just for caution, the above modular stacker has a kill zone. It has a recessed area on the inside where the hatchlings love to climb into. They are fine and perfectly safe after
the lid is already in place. Do not attempt to latch the lid down when your little guy is up in the recessed area or you could crush your baby. That being said these are great bins and very secure.

Back