• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I know this has been asked. >_<

Gary Colemans lover

Seriously though.
Ok. I know this question has been asked probably like a gillion times. But I searched. And I couldn't find anything that helped. But...

How can you tell the difference between a male and female? Could someone please post some pictures? :shrugs:

The most accurate way of sexing is via poping or probing. You can take the snake in question to an experienced vet or herper that can demonstrate to you how to safely and properly use these methods for sexing.

Visual sexing is an inaccurate way of determing the sex of snakes.

But.

Yeah..but..The vets here are for stupid animals like horses,dogs,cats, LIZARDS, birds...and all those things. The only snake vet doesn't know how to probe them.

This man did, but sadly he moved. So, I have no way of getting my snake probed...I can do it myself...but I'm too afraid I might hurt him..or her.

You want someone that's done it before to demonstrate how to properly pop/probe. If you push to hard, you can rupture/tear the snakes internal organs/tissues. Contact your local herp society for assistance. Or search for an experienced local herper.

Good Morning Everyone

:boring: I just woke up and have not got all my oars in the water yet.

I cant recall what it what right now but for a friend and 2 of our parents we have bread in the past we have used the "Tail length" technique. If you look at 4 cornsnakes tails and fins 2 of them ware one tail is shorter then the other then one of them is male and the other one is femail.

What I mean by shorter is, you find ware there butt is. one of the sexes tail will taper down more after the butt then the other sex. I have a baby cornsnake that looks like it's tale is a mile long. I know that if I find a baby thats tail is shorter then this snakes tail then I can put them together. I found my friend a breeding pair this way and I have bred 2 different parents by using this tech.

I am afraid to pop or probe my snakes ever since my little brother had what he said was one of the tamest Retic python and after he had the guy that sold it to him, pop the snake. It was like the snake hated people after that.

We have a local King Snake breeder that pairs up his king snakes that same way and also by watching how the 2 kings act when he puts them together.

Go to a couple local pet stores and pay close attention to the tails. And you will find that some tails taper quicker then the other. I hope this help you and to all the other more intelligent herpers out there. I'm sorry for the laymens wordings. But it has worked for me with no problems so far.

I had 4 different snake breeders demonstrate to me on their own animals how to pop hatchlings for me and now I'm doing it for myself with pretty good success (I check a few times to be super sure :rolleyes: )

Only a very experienced person who really, really knows what they're doing should ever probe a young snake as it's very easy to rupture bits and pieces.

I had an 'assumed' female snow and I probed to confirm this at about 15 months of age and the probe just slipped right in...I was terrified I'd done something wrong and ruptured something but it was just that she was a he that had managed to hold his hemipenes in when he was popped as a hatchling. I should have figured as much, I'd always thought 'she' had a pretty long tail for a girl! ...kinda like a gorgeous girl in a bar with reeeeally broad sholders and a square jaw if ya-know-what-I-mean!!!!!

o_O

Rofl. Thanks, all of you...I will go check out hector's tail. And wait for this new "pet shop" thingy to open. Because I found out, that the woman that owns it probes her own snakes.. :wavey:

Back