• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I Need An Expert's Assistance

Cody60

i got my snake from a breeder who had a clutch of babies containing normals and amels (mine was one of the normals)...meaning no matter what i breed my normal with...all that i can get from that clutch is either normals or amels? this whole genetics thing can be a little confusing :shrugs:

Yes or no :)

Since the clutch had both normals and amels, you know that at a minimum the parents of your snake were an Amel and something, het Amel. Your guy is a Normal, het Amel. This means that you would need to breed it to an Amel in order to get anything other than normals. You odds of getting an Amel from that pairing would be 50-50.

What you would need to find out is whether the parents were carriers of any other genes. Without knowing that information it is impossible to know if your snake could throw other morphs.

ahhh makes sense, thanks

but also...if i breed her with a male anything that was het amel...meaning two parents that are both het amel but not showing amel...i would have a 25% chance of getting amels in the clutch? errrr or no? i dont know, a post regarding a simliar issue led me to beleive that...

so by breeding my normal thats het amel...would i be able to produce any babies other than plain normals and plain amels??

Hmm, since there were normals and amels, then yours has at least a 2/3rds chance of being het for amel. It is not "for sure" het based on the fact that some siblings were amels.

meaning no matter what i breed my normal with...all that i can get from that clutch is either normals or amels?
Ya, with recessive traits, he can only throw whatever he's het for.

If you are willing to put some time/effort into it, you can figure out what he's het for... and despite what everyone else will tell you, you don't have to buy a female of every corn morph to do it. :)

He will throw any of his "hets" to about half of his offspring. So, breed him to any cornsnake in the universe. Then keep 3 or more of his daughters, raise them up, and breed them back to him when they're adults.

Whatever he's het for, you can find it when the babies pop out, because there's a good chance one of the females will be among the half of his kids that picked up the same het. The more of his offspring you use to try this, the less likely you are to get a "false negative" result.

het Amel X het AMel = 25% Amel, 50% het Amel, 25% Normal

since there were normals and amels, then yours has at least a 2/3rds chance of being het for amel

Good catch Serp. I was thinking the clutch was 50-50.

so by breeding my normal thats het amel...would i be able to produce any babies other than plain normals and plain amels??

Not unless it is het for something besides Amel.

In order for a Corn to be a trait (EX. Amel) Then both parents must at least carry that trait. If only one is then the trait can't be passed down.

Ahh, it's a girl, that slows things down a bit.

Think of it this way:

If your snake had some gene that would show up as long as it was inherited from either one of its two parents (and not necessarily both) then your snake would have to be showing that trait itself in order to be able to pass it along to its own offspring.

hmmm...sooo i cant get any other morphs...what about patterning? is okeetee a morph or just pattern??? what are some PATTERNS i could get from the male i bred her to? am i making any sense at all?? haha

Depending on the reference, "okeetee" can mean two different things. When some people say "okeetee," some mean a cornsnake from a certain region of the country, others mean just a very exceptional normal with bright reds and oranges with thick black borders. Snakes can be "okeetee phase" and not be from that region, or vice versa, although most snakes from that region have that look, which is why some people mix the terms up. Most okeetees or okeetee phase corns have just a normal pattern, although i have seen some in what looks kinda like a milksnake phase. As for breeding for different patterns, you would have to start off with the trait somewhere in your snakes. Most normal patterned corns don't just up and produce a perfect motley or stripe, unless its a very hidden trait. If your corn is het for amel (or so we would assume) and you're interested in playing with patterns, youi could try an amel stripe or motley. Of course, you won't produce 100% amels with 100% perfect motley/stripes at first. you would have to breed the pattern in over a few generations, but it could be a fun project. I'm trying to introduce a psuedo motley pattern into my flourecent orange amels and my high contrast white amels. I don't know if its going to work or not, but its fun to try. :)

If your corn is het for amel (or so we would assume) and you're interested in playing with patterns, youi could try an amel stripe or motley. Of course, you won't produce 100% amels with 100% perfect motley/stripes at first.

Actually Jynx you wouldn't produce any motleys or stripes. Patterns are no different than colors. Your snake has to be a carrier and it's mate has to be a carrier of a particular pattern genes in order to produce that patterned morph. It the whole Het and Homo discussion all over again. :)

i'm thinking of breeding my normal/okeetee (Whatever it is) het for amel...with either a candy cane (amel miami) or amel milk snake phase...that way i have a chance of getting normals, normal amels, miamis/milks, and candycanes/amel milks

Hmmmm......

Candy Canes and Amel milks aren't seperate genetic traits. They are simply selectively choosen Amels that standout in a litter because they have alot of white (Candy Canes) or wide borders (Amel Milks)

When Candy Canes and Amel Milksnake phase are breed to other Candy Canes and Amel Milks (that are similar in appearance) they reproduce some of their specific characteristics in their offspring. If you cross them with anything else you will simply create Normal Crnsnakes and normal Amels. Some might be visibly different but most won't. You are trying to shorten the selective breeding process and it just doesn't work that way. Candy Canes, Miamis and other beautiful variations of normal recessive traits take generations, upon generations to develop through selective culling by breeders. It just doesn't pop out in one breeding session.

I hope this explaination doesn't confuse you even more......... :)

darn...hmm what would you suggest i breed my normal (or okeetee?) het amel with? i'd like as much variation as possible, IF possible :p

mabye i should just breed mine with a reverse okeetee? what else could produce slightly different results...i just want more than a batch of plain normals or amels if possible...what are some other non-seperate-genetic traits that i could breed with my snake? i.e., stripe, motley, zigzag, aztec (correct me if im wrong)

im confused...i think im wrong...should i just try to get a snake with nice coloring or something? hah..

Thats kinda what I meant...that he would have to work with a few generations, but he could always introduce the pattern difference in now. Anyways, listen to whatever Serp and Cav have to say...they've already helped me alot so far.

Back