• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I think I have made a final choice.

Carinata

Ever Evolving Exotics
So I have been debating and soul searching for a few months. I am dead set on a Male herald snake for my birthday. I just can't resist them anymore. My girl is taking fuzzies and is an awesome snake. I think I am going to buy a 1.1 of Radiated or copperheaded rat snakes (Coelognathis radiata) I just am so drawn to ratsnakes from the far east! They are amazing animals. I know a guy who is gonna be selling me 1.1 het albinos. I am super excited! I am gonna use regular tubs for the babies and the adults because the genus Coelognathis are actually more like racers than rat snakes I will provide them each with a 96 qt tub. That is about 4ftX18inX18. I use one for my Taiwan. I understand they prefer cooler temps and smaller meals. Most racers have this preference. I was wondering if Robbie could give me any tips I know he has a pair. I was thinking Hognose but I am gonna wait until summer to get them. My mom loves hoggies and wants to set up 2 nice vivs in the kitchen for them. She is less busy in the summer and wants to be part of the buying and setting up.

If you do get the radiateds, prepare for the bites! I would also use taller tubs for them, because they seem to be more arboreal than most other ratsnakes. I definitely agree that they're more racer-like than ratsnake-like, so the attitude should DEFINITELY be taken into account. I think this is the only pose my male knows:

l_97cac1f4257041758c03512ee4973254.jpg

Another thing to consider is that they are FAST as the dickens! You have to reach into the tub and grab them without hesitation or they'll be across the room before you can say "Um... what?". When I was first putting mine in their new tubs, the male flew out of the bag, and I had to grab his lower half, but not before he had already done a double wrap around the pole of a rack next to the tub. It was CRAZY! I keep my pair right around 80*F, and they seem very active and happy with that. Just be careful, because they DO like to knock over their water bowls... CONSTANTLY. I'm righting and re-filling their water almost every day.

EDIT: and just for reference, that picture is life size. I just held up my thumb to it. :laugh:

rep for whippet.

At what point do snakes stop being pets and start becoming stock? It's pretty obvious your mom isn't going to want to take care of your zoo when you leave for college.

Keep us posted for when your liquidation sale happens.

If you do get the radiateds, prepare for the bites! I would also use taller tubs for them, because they seem to be more arboreal than most other ratsnakes. I definitely agree that they're more racer-like than ratsnake-like, so the attitude should DEFINITELY be taken into account. I think this is the only pose my male knows:

l_97cac1f4257041758c03512ee4973254.jpg

Another thing to consider is that they are FAST as the dickens! You have to reach into the tub and grab them without hesitation or they'll be across the room before you can say "Um... what?". When I was first putting mine in their new tubs, the male flew out of the bag, and I had to grab his lower half, but not before he had already done a double wrap around the pole of a rack next to the tub. It was CRAZY! I keep my pair right around 80*F, and they seem very active and happy with that. Just be careful, because they DO like to knock over their water bowls... CONSTANTLY. I'm righting and re-filling their water almost every day.

EDIT: and just for reference, that picture is life size. I just held up my thumb to it. :laugh:
Awesome thanks for the tip Robbie! So should I use the 56qts that are tallish? I am ready for bites it is a part of life! Should I get some wussy gloves
please..... please for the love of all things holy.... STOP! Please grow up a bit before you have 50+ snakes that you end up rehoming. Please. Enjoy what you have now.

rep for whippet.

At what point do snakes stop being pets and start becoming stock? It's pretty obvious your mom isn't going to want to take care of your zoo when you leave for college.

Keep us posted for when your liquidation sale happens.

Whippet and V Various I have explained if think 154265123654 times now I have planas. Please I hate saying this but your posts are pretty annoying. i understan you point. You know nothing about my mother who has been know to feed my entire collection. One time I hade a death in the family on my dads side and was gone for 2 week she feed for me. All 12 (at the time) snakes. I have 16 snakes now I just did a head count. The garter babies were not included because I have other plans for them. I have a grand total of 16. So please stop preaching. I know what i am getting into. if I were to have a liquidation sale I would ask a select number of people privately

What happened to slowing down? If anything, you're speeding up!

Use this as a chance to learn self control and budgeting.

I was going to get a pair of hogs now I am gettign a pair of RRs. It is my 16th Birthday present. Mom said nothing else until the hoggies after these 2.

I was going to get a pair of hogs now I am gettign a pair of RRs. It is my 16th Birthday present. Mom said nothing else until the hoggies after these 2.

I am dead set on a Male herald snake for my birthday.

I think I am going to buy a 1.1 of Radiated or copperheaded rat snakes (Coelognathis radiata) I just am so drawn to ratsnakes from the far east! They are amazing animals. I know a guy who is gonna be selling me 1.1 het albinos.

I was thinking Hognose but I am gonna wait until summer to get them. My mom loves hoggies and wants to set up 2 nice vivs in the kitchen for them. She is less busy in the summer and wants to be part of the buying and setting up.

That would be 3 not 2...followed by 2 more. So...five. How is that slowing down David?

:nope: I promise to stop posting how irresponsible you are being just the very minute you stop being irresponsible and then either one of us will continue to be annoyed.

"The Frontal Lobe, often called the “command center” of the brain, is the part of the brain
that controls the decision making process for adults, including long-term planning, riskassessment,
impulse control, and other behaviors associated with criminal culpability. It is
also one of the last parts of the brain to fully mature (in the early 20s).1 This late maturation
process suggests that adolescents are not as capable as adults of weighing long-term
consequences, and evaluating risk-assessment."

http://www.youthadvocacyproject.org/pdfs/Brain Mailing.pdf

Just sayin :shrugs:

Tara I would appriciate if you just did not respond. You never say anything about my animals that is encouraging. I don't want this to turn into a post war. I just want tips from current or past keepers. 1.1 Hogs, 1.1 RR and 1 Herald then I am out for a bit. I know my boundries. One of my favorite quotes
"only those who risk going to far can possibly find out just how far one can go" T.S Eliot.

David, you were going to stop after your ghost. Then you got a normal corn. You are now getting *5* more snakes. I'm sorry, but I'm certain that within a month of you getting those hogs, we're going to see another post about the new snakes you're getting.

Shiari I never said I was stopping after the ghost! Listen I am not some impulsive creeper that buys everything I can get my hands on. Every animal I get is carfully planned and cared for well. I have a plan for college. Do you want me to write you a dissertation on it? Would you like me to carve it across my chest? Or maybe do a crop writing of it? I have various plans. I am going to be getting these animals. All the stuff I get goes through my mom. She says no more for a long time after these. And when she says something it is law!

Awesome thanks for the tip Robbie! So should I use the 56qts that are tallish? I am ready for bites it is a part of life! Should I get some wussy gloves

I'd go with the 64qt talls. I'm going to be upgrading mine to those as soon as I get my new rack. I don't really need my wussy glove for mine. Yeah, the male bites, but it's that slow warning bite that gives you pinpricks, but at least it's not one of those fast bites where their teeth get stuck and rip your skin.

I'd go with the 64qt talls. I'm going to be upgrading mine to those as soon as I get my new rack. I don't really need my wussy glove for mine. Yeah, the male bites, but it's that slow warning bite that gives you pinpricks, but at least it's not one of those fast bites where their teeth get stuck and rip your skin.

OK, now mine will be tiny, like as big as a new bron Yellow rat I would say. Because they are stress prone will a big cage stress them out?

I love active snakes! I may put one in a 20 tall just for observation! I have always loved these guys! Would you say they are more active than say...a Taiwan Beauty? Also are they picky feeders or are they slammers!

I love active snakes! I may put one in a 20 tall just for observation! I have always loved these guys! Would you say they are more active than say...a Taiwan Beauty? Also are they picky feeders or are they slammers!

WAY more active, at least in my experience. And mine prefer to be left alone with their mice in privacy. If you try to dangle it for them, they're more interested in escaping than eating, so it's easier to just toss it in there with them. But mine DEFINITELY aren't picky!
You should get yours from Ben Siegel. That's who mine are from. And I got a fantastic deal on 'em. ;) (And they're het albino)

I am getting mine at a show in November. Mine will be Het Albio too! The guy is an asain rat freak! I bought my Het opal from him! I was emailing him today. I am gonna get the pair for $70 and they will be well started! Should I try and use visual barriers to avoid any rostral abrasion?

I am getting mine at a show in November. Mine will be Het Albio too! The guy is an asain rat freak! I bought my Het opal from him! I was emailing him today. I am gonna get the pair for $70 and they will be well started! Should I try and use visual barriers to avoid any rostral abrasion?

Ya know, they're probably gonna rub no matter what. They're active, and ALWAYS seeking a way to escape. You can try tossing some vines up top, but I don't really see it helping too much.

Ya know, they're probably gonna rub no matter what. They're active, and ALWAYS seeking a way to escape. You can try tossing some vines up top, but I don't really see it helping too much.

I mean I just know rostral abrasion is a pain in the tush to treat. Do you think adding some extra bedding for burrowing would be good to do instead of newspaper? Also what about giving them more hides I just don't want to deal with a pissed off snake that is stressed easily and triyng to rib ointment or peroxide on the toothy end!

Back