• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

identification help on amber/ caramel

slave600

ok picked up another amber corn for my projects next year and i am beyond stumped on a grab bag/ mixed lot of snakes i picked up. basically i have them all identified except a funny phase of ball python (mostly dark browns and black) and this corn/ rat/ hybrid snake??????? it is pictured w/ the cage mate... an amber male of about 4.5 years (he's the lighte of the 2)

any ideas??? it was supposed to be an amber and the previous owner was very certain it was a breeder from a friends corn morphs from a few years ago....

either way she is a very nice pet if she isnt to be used in my projects

Attachments

• pb.jpg
    pb.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 117
  • pb2.jpg
    pb2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 116
  • pb3.jpg
    pb3.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 116
i'm guessing a wierd caramel, a baird's hybrid, or an odd phase of another hybrid w/ a corn of some locale i don't know of......

i was even told about some sulphur hybrid a guy at a show had that looked like it???????? help??..??

maybe an adult carmot

grabbed this from candachan's sale page.... its a yearling caramel motley

Attachments

• carmot.jpg
    carmot.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 103
Definitely not a caramel motley...too dark (they get much lighter and more yellow as they age) and it has a normal pattern. I looks like a hybrid that may or may not be homozygous caramel.

And please tell us that it is no longer housed with it's "cage mate" as cohabitation is not recommended.

thats for quarantine.... i qt all my new snakes for 30 days b4 they get their own 20 gallon! thanx for the info tho

it was previously housed w/ this snake and as u all well know quarantine is the most important issue when introducing new snakes into a breeding population.... but that is not the question i asked.... if u have any info on said snake and its color phase/ morph that would be appreciated more than the threadjacking, hehehehe jk!
i know the need 2 keep us all on the same page when it comes 2 basic husbandry, but any identification info would be more helpful. thanx

oh btw..... it is a corn.... after finally getting in touch w/ the previous owner it seems to be an auratum line (its foreign/ germany) that has some serious masking of its characteristics!
ha i guess i got lucky since the previous owner was friends w/ alot of importers!

im trying to learn more about the auratum b4 i decide 2 breed her or sell/ trade her for some caramel lineage

oh btw..... it is a corn.... after finally getting in touch w/ the previous owner it seems to be an auratum line (its foreign/ germany) that has some serious masking of its characteristics!
ha i guess i got lucky since the previous owner was friends w/ alot of importers!

im trying to learn more about the auratum b4 i decide 2 breed her or sell/ trade her for some caramel lineage

Yhe recent posting of breeding results on the "auratum" line proves that they are het caramel, not homozygous. As to what else is going on, it's still a mystery.

It really looks like the mystery "Auratum Line".
My "Auratum" pair from 09 for comparison.

~
Seriva

Attachments

• caramel-m13.jpg
    caramel-m13.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
  • caramel-w11.jpg
    caramel-w11.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 17
thanx for all the info it has been a great help in pointing me in the direction of what i need 2 do 2 breed it next year....

does anyone know what to expect from specific crossings?? i planned on breeding her 2 an amber male, but i have a bubblegum snow, flourescent orange, and a charcoal het lavender/ bloodred also

how does auratum show in comparison to other traits? is it like a recessive caramel , but what is it recessive to? is anery or amel dominant?

how does auratum show in comparison to other traits? is it like a recessive caramel , but what is it recessive to? is anery or amel dominant?

Most corn snake morphs are a result of simple recessive genes, caramel being one of them. To date, and solely based upon what I've read, the only thing we know is that one pair of the "auratum" snakes were purchased as being homozygous caramel, but the breeding results from 2010 proved them to be only het for caramel. What is actually making them the color they are is currently unknown. There may be another unidentified gene(s) at work, there may be hybrid influence, it may simply be a line-bred look, who knows. I am not sure if this line has been crossed with other morphs yet or not and if so, what the results have been.

Back