• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Identifying Corn Snake Morph

CeaserGirl938

I was given this snake as a trade for one of my normal Banded Fat Tail geckos, and he was given to me as a motley sulfur. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is right or if he is something else. Thanks.

Here are some of the numerous pics I have taken since I fell in love with him when I got him! ^^

P7150660-1.jpg

P7190671.jpg

P7190673.jpg

P7190675.jpg

P7200677.jpg

I'm no expert so don't take my word for it but it COULD be a sulfur motley.
The breeders here will give you the correct answer :)

I don't see anything about him that suggest he is a sulfur (amel+caramel+diffused) as there is NO diffusion of the lateral motley pattern at all. Also, motley diffused of any type are still fairly uncommon, and sulfurs are very rare, so I doubt you've got one. I'm going to go with butter or butter motley.

Who was the individual who gave him to you?

It was a pet store owner in Naples here downtown. He had just gotten a bunch of corns from a private seller and I got to choose one in trade for my gecko. I'll get a belly pic. And all those pics I took were with flash on my camera cause of crappy room lighting so idk if that makes a difference or not.

Here is what his belly looks like all the way down. And a slight side picture. I'm completely new to cornsnake morphs so idk if that makes a difference either.

P7210693.jpg

Its a privately owned pet store called amazing pets. The owner purchases animals from a breeder or importers stock. He goes and picks them by hand. I'm not sure if the breeder had it listed wrong or is there a possibility of it being a sulfur at all? This snake is only 12 inches long right now so very young.

If it had the diffused gene present in homozygous form, it shouldn't have that dark pigment edging the belly, nor the 'broken stripe' along the sides. It could be a butter motley FROM a sulfur motley project. But as a sulfur mot would probably sell for a couple hundred bucks, I doubt someone wholesaled it to a pet store.

Is there a way to DNA test or what not to know what specific morph it is? Should I question the pet store about labeling their available morphs wrong?

The only way to test is to breed it to a snake that is homozygous for diffused. If you get all diffused offspring, it's a sulfur mot. But if you get even *one* non-diffused offspring, it's not homozygous diffused.

I might ask the pet store how they came upon that label, if they know the genetics the label involves, and maybe ask if you can get in contact with the breeder, because you've had some people call it "just" a butter motley.

I guess the breeder sold it as butter motley poss. het sulfur and in his head it became sulfur motley... it is pretty though!

Alright, I contacted the store through email and the owner said that the snakes may pass through a few hands before coming into their ownership. They said they would be glad to track down a real sulfur with papers though to right the wrong. I'm going to ask them to attempt this because I specifically chose the "sulfur motley" because I knew it would be rare since I had never even heard of a sulfur before and even though I'm newer to cornsnakes, I still do my research. Thanks for the replies.

Back