• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Identity Theft: It Can Happn To You

Lycari

Desperate to Edit
And it can happen before you're even thinking of getting credit!

I applied for my first credit card about a week ago. Yesterday, I got a denial letter explaining that they couldn't verify my SSN or "alternate identification number" from the application against what the credit beurue has on file. I tried to order my credit report, and couldn't get one. My dad did some twiddling on the Equifax site, and lo and behold, it appears that I got a home loan in 2007. I was 13 in 2007. Before I was out of middle school, someone had gotten ahold of my SSN and has been using it ever since.

They're doing a good job, since my credit score is 916/999, but it's not my credit. It's a theif's credit.

I just wanted to get this out there and warn kids (and their parents) to get their free credit reports as soon as they turn 18. If I had, the whole mess I'm dealing with right now would be history and wouldn't affect my life half as much as it does now.

Personally, unless you absolutely have to have a credit card. I would advise against it. They are not something to live by. My parents had racked up so much credit by the time I was born in 1986 that they did not pay off their debt until roughly 2 years ago.

It is too easy to state, "I will only use them for emergencies" and then use them on something that you "cant live without". That is why once I have my wifes card paid off, we will be canceling it and cutting it up.

I personally do not like spending money that I have not earned.

Me neither, but I'd like to be able to buy a house or a car someday without shelling out my whole savings account, or go to college someday, and if you have a good credit history, you get better interest rates. I personally hate paying any more than I absolutely have to.

I used my car to build my credit. That and renting an apartment. There are many ways to build a good credit score, without a card.

My initial interest on my car was 9.5%. That was with my father cosigning on it. I paid on it for a year and then refinanced it under my name and the interest went down to 9.25%. I had the car for 3 years before paying it off completely. I would make the monthly payments and then after all my other bills were paid I paid on the principle. Then I deployed to Afghanistan, and in 3 months I finished paying the car off.

Me neither, but I'd like to be able to buy a house or a car someday without shelling out my whole savings account, or go to college someday, and if you have a good credit history, you get better interest rates. I personally hate paying any more than I absolutely have to.

You are right!! it's better to pay high rate on a small item than something like a house.

But a friend did this with his daughter..co-sign for a small personal loan with his daughter..take the money and bank it. She withdrew the payment and payoff the loan. They did this a few times to build her credit history.

Either way, this is straying from the point.... At this point, my credit report isn't my credit report anymore. My credit history is inaccessible, not to mention inactivate. The fact that I applied for a credit card is neither here nor there, because I cannot get any kind of loan until this issue is resolved. If it had been a car or an apartment or a student loan, I'd still have been denied because the creditor could not get my credit history/report with the information I was able to provide. That's what I want to help other people avoid.

Back