• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

In case of power outage?

Jupiter

I think I asked this before, and I got an answer but could not acquire the heating packets that were mentioned. There are snow storms moving through my area and the power may well go out, and I just fed Sir Blinky about 6 hours ago. So if the power does go out what is a good way to provide heat? I was thinking small candles outside of the glass (not too close to the glass), and piling up a bunch of aspen until proper temps are reached? All the while very closely monitoring the hot spots making sure it doesn't get too hot, any other suggestions though? Sorry for duplicate questions, I just really don't want a regurg due to lack of heating [emoji15]

I'd use a hot water bottle full of water warm enough not to hurt the snake. Even if your water tank loses power, it should have warm water in it for many hours.

Not candles...

Next time, don't feed before bad weather. You can't even get hand warmer packets from Walmart??

Not candles...

Next time, don't feed before bad weather. You can't even get hand warmer packets from Walmart??

Yea it was dumb feeding right before the bad weather, but all the news and TWC said not to expect anything bad, no snow or ice, just cold weather.... we woke up to nearly two inches of snow and ice, and subzero temps. [emoji52] I used the candle method once, just to see if it worked a long time ago and it seemed to do fine, placed the small teacup candles about 4 inches in front of the viv and positioned aluminum foil to angle the heat towards a large pile of bedding that was piled up inside the viv against the glass (to avoid fire hazards) monitored the temps and it did perfectly the surface of the glass got up to around 100 but the bedding stayed in the mid 80s, I would never want to leave it like that ofc, but it worked for the time, while I could closely watch it. The nearest Walmart (or store that sells any kind of hand warmers) is about an hour away, and I had forgotten until now. The storm has passed and we're good, I was just needing something that I could leave while the power was off, I'll get some of those hand warmers asap, what's the best way to use them? Just tuck them all the way under the aspen?

if you have any sporting goods stores near your house, like bait shops, hunting supply places, etc, they should all carry hand warmers.

Should you not have anything to heat with, another thing you can do is cover the tank with a thick towel to help keep what heat is present insulated within the tank. From there, avoid going in and out of whatever room the snake is in so that heat within the room escapes as little as possible.

Many green tree python keepers in colder climates or areas prone to power failure due to cold temps have invested into oil space heaters. As with any type of heating device, one should exercise caution to avoid fire.

I've never been in this situation, or at least not long enough to worry. I've only used hand warmers for shipping. You might try reading either reptiles express or ship your reptiles websites. One of those lists how hot various duration-based hand warmers get. Some of the shorter duration ones can get fairly hot and fairly quickly IIRC and that can be a possible problem.

EDIT:
Propane tank type portable camping heaters might also be an option. They use the same small propane tanks used for small portable camping stoves. Again, the anti-christ, I mean Walmart will carry these small tanks, as will any sporting goods store.

Thanks! I'll be sure to try that towel trick, and not going into/out of the room too much. Worst come to worst I can move him into his small enclosure and take him somewhat close to our fireplace, always checking the temps making sure it doesn't get too hot.

And if you do have candles, make sure they are monitored all the time they are lit.

Back