• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Incubators?

wyocornsnaker

Has anyone ever gotten one on Ebay? What type is recommended? Would it be easy to make one? I'm only going to have two clutches. So I don't need one that is to big.

What is the temp of the room the snake is in? If it does not go above 90 or below 50, then take a plastic shoebox, fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full of moist (will clump in your hand, but not leak water) vermiculite. Place the eggs atop the vermiculite, put the lid on the box, and place the box somewhere in the room, where it will not be moved often. Forget about the box, check it 60 days later, if no babies, check every 5 days. Works every time.

If your temps go below 80, it will not kill the eggs, the babies will just take longer and hatch bigger and healthier.

We have a friend that bred snakes for about 8 years. Up until recently, they used to use, chicken incubators, for all their reptiles. I think she said, they paid like 20 bucks for one at the local feed and grain store. I believe it will hold 1 whole clutch of eggs. She would fill the bottom of the thing with wet moss and put a thermometer in it. It had a knob so you could control the heat. That may be an idea.

They have a Hovabator on ebay, that is just like the one i'm considering. It's like $58.00 shipped I think.

I built this incubator about 3 years ago and Ive used it for corn snake eggs with no problem, before this I had a smaller version of this that I made in a fish tank. I can hold 12 good size clutches in it at the same time .....

Rick

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

Rick what are you using as a heat source if any? I like that set up and I just happen to have a cooler laying around.

Probably the easiest thing to do is RT incubation if your temps are OK as was said earlier. I've done it this way for 10+ years - great success every time. This year I'm making a cooler incubator as I want to keep tighter control on temps - last year they got down to the low 70s a couple of times and my clutches took 75-80 days to hatch.

I think I'm going to try the room temp incubation. I live in California my room won't get below 75 degrees pretty soon. Sucks for me, but it's great for my snakes. :)

I think I'm going to try the room temp incubation. I live in California my room won't get below 75 degrees pretty soon. Sucks for me, but it's great for my snakes. :)

Also make sure it doesn't get too hot either (up against a wall that faces the sun or something).

Most people use rubbermaid containers with moss, vermiculite, perlite, or hatchrite and place it in a closet with temps in the 80's. I bought a Hovabator off LLL reptile and a bag of hatchrite (premoistened) and love it. I have the model with the picture window so I dont have to take off the lid. I try to keep the temp around 81 +/- 2 degrees and a humidity around 50-60%. There is alot of alternetives to incubators and in constructing your own. Research it and you might build one for less than $20. LLL reptile has the incubator, hatchrite, deli cups on sale right now. Heres the link http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/-/specialincubator-hatchrite-and-deli-cups/
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last year was the first year I used room temps to hatch eggs and had such a good experience. I had really minimal problems with mold, eggs pipped about 62-65 days into the process and all 4 clutches were out in a matter of 1-2 days of each other. This year with 30-40 clutches of eggs I am setting a shelf up in an old closet with a sliding door on it so that they will be out of sight of curious friends who stop buy.

Back