• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is this true

phillip2

i went to 2 pet shops in north wales and both had reptiles i held a corn and was told they will get away and dont sit still but mainly very rigly etc not a good starter snake and just not good to handle really is this true

they both reccomended a royal python but u need a 4 foot viv for that which is too bog for me.

Corns are GREAT starter snakes. Yeah, they'll probably always be more wriggly than a comparably sized ball (royal) python, but they typically have better feeding responses. I'd take wriggly over non-feeding any day.

Phillip,

I am just a beginner as well, but the following is what I have deduced so far:

In answer to your question the shop owner is correct that corns are very inquisitive and are constantly on the move. This doesn't mean that they can't be handled, and from my understanding as a beginner I believe that they calm down when they are around 2 years old.

Corns are fantastic starter snakes because they eat well, are docile have a calm disposition and do not grow too large.

Royal Pythons (or Ball Pythons as they are also known) are also quite a clam snake, however they get larger than a corn snake, mostly have a calm disposition, although some can be a bit nippy I am told. However the real downside to a Royal is that they can be very fussy eaters, and it can be very difficult and heart breaking as a novice to deal with their fussy nature.

The advice i have been given is to start with corn, learn the basics of husbandry and then move on to a Royal once some experience has been learnt. However lots of people do and have started with a royal, but I am sure they will admit it has not been easy and was a steep learning curve.

Good luck which ever you choose.

Plus, there is a wide variation in the personalities of corns. Some are and always will be jittery during handling. Others seem to be calm as can be from the time they are hatclings through adulthood.

If the store allows customers to handle (and you are dead set on buying from the petstore) try to handle a few and see if some are more calm than others. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath on it depending on what kind of care the store gives their animals. I would still suggest going through a breeder if you can find one.

Like Dean said, regardless of whether or not they are wriggly, they are great starter snakes.

zwyatt said:
Plus, there is a wide variation in the personalities of corns. Some are and always will be jittery during handling. Others seem to be calm as can be from the time they are hatclings through adulthood.

If the store allows customers to handle (and you are dead set on buying from the petstore) try to handle a few and see if some are more calm than others. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath on it depending on what kind of care the store gives their animals. I would still suggest going through a breeder if you can find one.

Like Dean said, regardless of whether or not they are wriggly, they are great starter snakes.
i am a beginer my self and i have a corn snake they r very cute and i love mine to bits better to start with the basic and work your way up they r a bit wrigly from time to time but they do settle down after a while

Yup... Ive never dropped or come close to dropping my snake.. I thik what people mean is that they are more active than ball pythons rather than wriggle/ hard to hold. Where as a ball will just sit in your hand, a corn will move about your hand. They are easy to hold dont worry about that :) :)

Ask the pet shop if you can hold both a corn and a ball python, then you can tell for yourself which one you want, and what the differences are between them. If you ARE buying from them then I cant see why they wouldnt let you hold them :eek1:

no hey know im not bying just looking i did hold both
balls ae not active which is good and just sat there though they grow too big so its and i cant get a viv that big

Male royals, yeah, IMO.
Royals (males anyway) tend to be shorter than your average corn, but much stockier, so it just depends what you want. I absolutely love royal pythons, they are one of my favourite snakes to hold and interact with.

Unless you have an unusually large one, I'd say so yes. Females are larger so you might want to aim for a male.
Yes, they're handlable as adults. My Royal is quite happy to be carried all round the house. :)

Back