• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

It followed me home.

Putty

French Fries
Well...I'll keep it short - I saw him - I did a double-take - I looked around at other booths - I realised he was the one - I bought him - I like him.

So here's a couple of pics of ''him'' seeing as I haven't named him yet. He's about a month old and a pastell froom the Bell line. Many thanks to Paul for scoping out the prices and qualities of the BPs before my arrival at the show.

His little enclosure:
DSCF0220.jpg

DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

My little pastel himself...

DSCF0222.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

DSCF0225.jpg

DSCF0229.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

Thanks girls!

He's my first BP so it feels weird handling a ''fat'' snake :p. He was more expensive than my corn so I felt sort of bad spending so much money on a ''newcomer'' that I had to buy over 40 dollars worth of plants and vines for Putty (corn) to relieve my guilty conscience.

Man today at the Expo, it was awesome, hope September and October turns out this good, since I found this guy, I think that when you get the female spider, and if you produce one you owe me a spider or maybe even a bumblebee, yep sounds fair to me :)

Have you named this awesome dude yet? I still havent seen putty in person I think I best go over soon. Yes.

Mat, call him Bones, the first pattern after his head looks like a bone, actually in some pics it looks like the same pattern as the one Putty has on his head, lmao.

Wow... What a pretty BP... I want one but I already have too many snakes for now...:uhoh: I'm sure I'll find a way to get more...:idea:

Oo! Nice color AND pattern! Thats the best pastel that I have seen in a long time! Its always such a bummer when snakes climb out of their enclosures and follow us home......

:D

Thanks again, he's a looker and was a steal at the price they were asking for in my opinion xD.

I tried feeding last night as he seemed to be very curious and playful - a 21 day old f/t rat pup that was hairdrried and had the scent of guinea pigs did not please him at all. He would sniff near it, and pass beside it or under it just ignoring it.

I think I wasted 10 bucks on frozen food for this guy lol.

Here's somewhat an update on the situation. He refused to eat f/t so I decided that for one week I'll grant him a live prey. Getting the appropriate sized prey wasn't hard because of our stock at work and the small rat fuzzy only cost me .50 due to discounts.

Anyways, I prescented his viv by putting the small box with airholes holding the rat in it for about 15 minutes. Once prescented, I took out the box, pulled out the rat and held it up into the air with tongs. The BP was already out and about frolicking in his fake plant so I moved that aside and he curled up into a ball. Right from the start he seemed curious of the squirming little thing that is sending me to hell. Then I approached his meal a bit closer and he struck the mouse in a flash and squeezed it.

My corn doesn't eat live - nor does he strike feed, so it was pretty impressive to witness it for the first time. Now, question is, should I even bother attempting a switch from live to frozen? I have enough frozen prey in the freezer but I can also buy a proven rat couple for 10$ and I have an old cage used two years ago back when I had a domestic rat.

All opinions and suggestions are welcomed because this isn't an easy decision for me to take and I'd like some input.

Heres what I would try.

Go for a frozen thawed next time. Defrost then dip the rats head in boiling water for about 10 - 15 seconds. Then present it with the tounges as you did with the live one.
BP's are very sensetive to heat, thats what all the pits around his mouth are. If you heat the rat with the boiling water it will look much more interesting to him.
Chances are though, he will be a strike feeder for life, which can be a pain sometimes but, its always rewarding watching them squeeze the prey, especially when you know that the lil rat isnt suffering :)

My BP's are strike feeders and rarely let me down feeding this way.

Id keep trying this process. If he wont take it 1st time, forget it and leave him a week. Then try again. If you pressure him he will get stressed. Eventually he'll go for this method, hopefully 1st time. But dont worry, BP's can go a long time without food!

I'm thinking the prey I offered f/t were too big for him right now so I'll offer him something smaller next time and see. I also made the mistake the first time of taking him out of his viv to feed him (it's what I do with my corn) and apparantly BPs feel much more secure when it comes to feeding time in their own enclosures.

I had also defrosted in boiling water and then hair-dried the rat so it looked soft and natural but Idk? As I said - I'll try a bit smaller next time and we'll take it from there.

Imo strike feeding is awesome - it's too bad my corn doesn't do it lol.

Back