• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

It's volcanic in here...

HerpsOfNM

My name's Blurryface...
I was killing time while mice thawed yesterday and snapped some photos. We'll start with my lava critters, more pic dump coming for some other themes.

The first 2 came to me in Oct 2013 as yearlings, but both have been fairly slow growers (I have 2013s that are double their weight), even with semi-aggressive feeding. They just started taking adult mice this year. The male (Ice) is definitely of size, hopefully the female (Lava) will be up to weight by next season.

The last lava is either Red Coat or Red Factor, Tom wasn't certain which. I had hopes that she'd breed to me Steve Roylance Anery A Tessera het lava, ph albino stripe but I never saw a lock out of the numerous times I paired them. There's still hope for a late season clutch after trying to pair them again in July and finding "evidence" so we shall see.

MM2012-Ice-8-13-2016 by Chris Cirrincione, on Flickr

MM2012-Lava-8-13-2016 by Chris Cirrincione, on Flickr

TT-LAVA-RC-RF-8-13-2016 by Chris Cirrincione, on Flickr

Hi Blurryface!

How ya been? :p

Great pix! The second one looks like he has a tattoo on his head. Is that a result of the camera you were using or is that mark really there?

One thing I always liked about corns is the markings on their heads which is almost always unique.

Thanx for sharing!!

Wow! You've done great either those two. Also, your photo skills as always continue to get better and better.

Thanks for the compliments Mitch. Good to see you still around too! Last we spoke you had a little one that was sick and were dealing with school, IIRC.

You get out into the field much this season?

Uch, gorgeous, especially the second one!

Thanks. The bloodred/diffused heritage she has seems to have really played into her reduced patterning. Her belly is very much checkered, so she's definitely not homozygous.

How ya been? :p

Great pix! The second one looks like he has a tattoo on his head. Is that a result of the camera you were using or is that mark really there?

One thing I always liked about corns is the markings on their heads which is almost always unique.

Thanx for sharing!!

Been a little better honestly. A week ago I collided with shortstop while charging in for a shallow fly ball into left field for softball. Right ribs and solar plexus are a bit tender. Nothing broken I don't believe (not in severe pain) and though I have bruising it is extremely minimal and what appears to be just where cleats possibly hit skin.

That coloration showed up with a recent shed. There doesn't appear to be any damage, but I'm thinking that is due to some sort of anomaly from shedding. The scales are perfectly fine and it's not stuck skin, at least by benchmarking off the shed that was in her cage.

I do greatly enjoy the variation. I'm torn between 2 worlds, 1 where I enjoy field herping and appreciate keeping wild-type animals and the second being I enjoy genetic variation. Many in the field herping community, it seems, like to scoff at the pet side of things, even those that keep herps themselves. Yet ironically a number of various herps and their mutations have been derived from a given mutation being found in the wild. It's an odd, awkward, and hypocritical discussion at times within that community. :poke: :twohammer

Back