• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

journey related stress for snakes.....

Niki_Pixie

Do they get it?
I plan to take my 1 year old corn and another corn (not sure how old it will be then since its not even hatched yet!) on a long road trip from southern england to southern denmark by putting them in a well ventilated, woodchip filled lunchbox.
if i make sure both lunch boxes are blacked out (put black paper around edges or something) will this limit stress. has anyone elses snakes been on a 30 hour road trip.
I plan to leave feeding til the day after i arrive in Denmark so they do not regurgitate on the trip also because on the trip they wont have their heat pads to help them digest.
Any suggestions, experiences etc welcome.

Snakes can get motion sickness and other forms of stress, so it's well to plan ahead. I wouldn't feed the snakes for a week before the trip so they could empty their stomachs. And I'd wait 2-4 days after they are in their new homes before feeding so they can settle down after the trip.

As for packing the snakes, the luchbox sounds all right, though I don't think the edges need blacking out. I would fill the box with a number of crumpled sheets of newspaper so that it would be tightly packed rather than using wood chips. The paper would be less dusty that the chips, but most importantly, the paper would provide crevices for the snakes to wedge themselves into. This would minimize the amount of jostling and sliding around that the snakes would be subjected to. Once the paper was in, I'd fasten the lunch box top down with cable ties or heavy rubber bands, put the box inside a pillow case, and tie a knot in the neck of the pillow case. So that even if the snakes got out of the box, the pillow case would keep them from escaping. Then I'd wedge the whole thing inside either a styrofoam or cardboard box
so it couldn't move much. The styrofoam or cardboard would provide some insulation against temperature extremes. Hope this helps.

Quarentine laws dont apply to snakes as far as I'm aware, I did contact one authority about it and they said I didnt need a permit so all that was stopping me as far as I was concerned was the coach company not permitting the carriage of animals. so I went ahead with it and he was just fine got here and just wanted to explore and eat.

I'm not sure what the weather is like there, but PLEASE make sure it isn't too hot! Put the lunchboxes in a styrofoam container or something. If the weather is really hot and you don't use air conditioning or it is in direct sunlight, put an ice pack near the boxes. One argument against using dark lunchboxes is that you cannot monitor their behavior. I was driving with my snake on a SHORT ride, and he was moving around a lot, trying to get out. I thought he was just stressed and I left him alone so he would calm down. An hour later, I found him dead from the heat....You really don't want that to happen to your animals. I don't think the weather there is as extreme as here, but PLEASE be careful!

Back