• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just a quick dumb genetic question?

CornSnakes556

What morph offspring will you get when you breed an unknown het Orange Candy Cane (male) to an unknown het Miami ( female )?

I was told a Candy cane and a Miami would produce something other then normals? Is this true?:spinner:

Thank you!

What morph offspring will you get when you breed an unknown het Orange Candy Cane (male) to an unknown het Miami ( female )?

I was told a Candy cane and a Miami would produce something other then normals? Is this true?:spinner:

Nope.

Miamis are line-bred normals.

Candy Canes are line-bred amelanistics.

Given no other known hets, you'd get 100% normals, het amelanistic.

regards,
jazz

I would go for the Candycane. This way your offspring would all be het amel, instead of only about 50%. Then when you breed back you can be sure that you get some candycanes. Also, amel is a pretty common het, so if your current miami is het amel, you'll get some amels in the first clutch. I wouldn't plan on it though- never plan around the best case scenario. ;)

Above is what Topaz had to say about the Candycane/Miami breeding.

Yea...you breed an amel to a normal(ignore the line-bred names, because they won't work when outcrossing), and you get 100% normal het. amel offspring.

Breed one of those back to the amel, and oyu get a percentage of amel and a percentage of normal het. amel in the F2.

This is, of course, assuming there are no unknown hets. in the original parents...

If the pairing was an actual Candy Cane X Miami phase, you would probably get some Miami offspring as Candy Canes are really nothing more than linebred "Miami amels" - amels that have been selected to have a very light ground color, just like the Miami phase.

However, since you're asking about a "het Candy Cane" and "het Miami" pairing, I would say the results would be all normals as technically, you can't have "hets" of any selectively bred variety - they are not simple genetic recessives. You may get a Miami offspring, but don't hold your breathe. The odd selectively bred type variety can show up in any pairing, just out of dumb luck.

Ok, so you guys are saying breed the Orange CandyCane to the Miami phase female, then keep offspring out of that clutch and breed back to one of the parents? Am I understanding this? Also what is the maxium ( if there is on ) breeding age to a female AND male snake? ( Corn snake )

Maximum breeding age can vary depending upon the individual snake's over-all condition and in females, perhaps how often and how many eggs she has produced so far. I tend to retire my females around 10 years old, but that's because my snakes tend to be smaller than most (300-350 grams average) and they also tend to double clutch every year, whether I want them to or not. For males, just like with humans, they can fertilize eggs well beyond the age I would retire a female. Their fertility rate may decrease. however, with each passing year after "middle age".

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I posted on an earlier thread- I meant that you would get all normals in the first generation, and then when you breed those normals together you would get amels. So yeah, your above post is correct. I'm not sure about a maximum age/weight for breeding is, but I know that the minimum weight that the snakes need to be is around 300g. Age tends to be around three, but the actual weight is more important. Also, the male can be less than 300g to breed, but it can be very risky and hard on the female if she is less than that weight.

I'm so again for the confusion caused by my post, and I hope this information helps to answer some questions.

Not at all! hehe, So I will get normals out of the Candy cane Miami breeding, but if I breed hatchling back to the parents what will I get?

Depends on which parent. If you breed it back to the Miami parent, you'll get normals again. Breed it back to the Candy Cane parent, and half the clutch should normals and the other half amels.

No, not at all. The normals that would be produced out of these breedings could probably be called Miamis because the Candy Cane is essentially an amel Miami. So all you've done is to add another gene to your project, which is a good thing. If you had gotten the Miami male, you wouldn't have a chance of getting Miamis and Candy Canes from your breedings, just more Miamis. So you made the right choice, no worries. ;)

Ohh Ok, you made me feel better :) And last question, I will not get any candycanes out of this breeding correct? ( I think I'm catching on! ) :)

POssibly

IF your miami snake has the hidden amel gene, then you would get some candy canes, so until you prove it out you don't know. However, like the poster said earlier, never plan around the worst case scenario and be please with anything better.

Back