• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kastanie or what?

NiklasTyreso

Can this snake be a kastanie?

I post some pics of a snake I bought as a hatchling 2006. The mother were a grey-red corn looking like a Keys/rosacea.
The breeder did not show the father and just described it as a "strange" corn.

First pic is as a hatchling.
Second pic is from 2009.
The rest of the pics ar taken today.

I post a pic of the belly as it might be a marker for the masque trait.
The pics do not show the degree of red that the snake have, it is more red irl.

So, do you think this snake might be a (rather grey) kastanie?
If not, what kind of genetics give it its appearance?

Attachments

• Ansos orm i sthlm nu MIN.jpg
    Ansos orm i sthlm nu MIN.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Freya DSCN0030 2009.jpg
    Freya DSCN0030 2009.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Freya 1 DSC01060.jpg
    Freya 1 DSC01060.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Freya 2 DSC01065.jpg
    Freya 2 DSC01065.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Freya 4 DSC01068.jpg
    Freya 4 DSC01068.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 226
I'm going to say "no".

"The breeder did not show the father and just described it as a "strange" corn."

There's never been a good reason that I've ever heard of a breeder refusing to show a snake, other than to completely muddy the answer to "what kind of genetics give it its appearance?" :(

The breeder had a petshop and had had sold the male.

My snake was very light coloured as a hatchling, as kastanies use to be, but the chance of stumbling upon a kastanie in Sweden 2006 was about sero.

So, do you have any idea what genetics that might give my snake its look?

The breeder had a petshop and had had sold the male.

Aaahh makes more sense :) It doesn't "look" like one, but Kastanies are still pretty uncommon in the States, and I can only compare it to the one pair I have. There are many more EU and UK breeders who've worked with them over the years better suited to give you an educated guess...

I don't think it looks like a Kastanie either. Kastanies are a different tint and have more defined black boarders in their saddles. I would bet it is likely a corn x emoryi (rootbeer....sometimes called copper corns). The odd shaped and angled dorsal saddles are pretty typical in many as well.

cheers, ~Doug

Thanks for your answers!

Yes, it looks very much as a rootbeer, maybe that is what she is.

My snake was the only one in the clutch with this pattern, that was the reason I bought this one. Patterns are most important for me.

I have not breed her (but plan t breed her to a masque anery male), so I probably have to inform buyers it might be a subspecies hybrid.

The belly pattern also is more uniform (Hopefully you see what I see when I say that) then you find in a typical "pure" corn. I would think you'd see the "masque" trait expressed visually on her head, but I don't know much about the trait. Neat looking snake, and thumbs up for trying to figure it out and letting future buyers know you think it's not 100% corn :)

I'd also tend to say "no" to kastanie.

You never know what happens with coluration when you outcross the morphs, but this one would look VERY different in comparison to the known kastanie lineages... I don't believe this animal is a kastanie. :shrugs:

What about the possible Kistanie that was on snake of the day yesterday. I want kistanie but cant find them.

Kastanie is fairly hard to obtain in the US still. I think many of us breeders have been able to find a few sources but I had to import 2 of my 3 kastanie.

Kastanie is fairly hard to obtain in the US still. I think many of us breeders have been able to find a few sources but I had to import 2 of my 3 kastanie.

We produced a few last year and all the ones we decided to part with went to one buyer. Some were morphs such as a suspected kastanie fire and anery motley kastanie. Should produce more this year.

dc

We produced a few last year and all the ones we decided to part with went to one buyer. Some were morphs such as a suspected kastanie fire and anery motley kastanie. Should produce more this year.

dc

Yep, You and Jim were the first thing that came to mind when "Kastanie" was mentioned. ;)

cheers, ~Doug

I'd also tend to say "no" to kastanie.

You never know what happens with coluration when you outcross the morphs, but this one would look VERY different in comparison to the known kastanie lineages... I don't believe this animal is a kastanie. :shrugs:

Thanks for your input!

She is a more likely a rootbeer.
The chance of finding a kastanie in Sweden 2006 were extremely low.

Rootbeers are awesome! Get that into some hypos and ghosts, and you'll have some of the coolest looking corns ever. Few breeders hate hybrids much more than me, and I love a rootbeer. Heck, I love emoryi, and consider them not a separate species at all, but a western corn. If taxonomy is ever genetically mapped, I'll bet my Volkmann P. guttatus and P. emoryi are the same species.

BHB has Kastanies for sale. A local shop in Denver gets corns from reptiles shows they do in Texas and other states. Not terribly pricey either. For some reason said local shop felt a 60 dollar mark up was the way to go....

Back