• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lavenders - Kinks?

Hey all, I've been told from a few different people that if you breed a visual Lav to another visual Lav (no matter how many other genes are involved) the risk of kinking is fairly significant.

For anyone who has done it, is this true? Does anybody have information about this? I tried googling lavender kinks but came up empty handed.

I am not planning on breeding visuals to visuals, just curious what your experiences have been.

We have worked with lavender projects for two years now and no kinked animals have shown up. Both times were visual lavender to lavender pairings.

Some kinks could be genetic and some people do say the lavender gene can have a higher risk of kinks but I have a lavender ghost who is just fine and 4 months old.

I have been breeding lav X lav for a few yeas now. Only time I got any kinks was the 1st year and those were sibs and unsure of how many generations sibs may have been bred to get the ones I had. So with that in mind I never had the problem since when I have bred unrelated pairs. But when I got the kink 1st year I only got one.
So taking this info I think it is a thing that may have been a problem early on, much like the bloodred (diffused} being difficulty feeders.

I'm not sure what my lavender's parents were but he is kinked all over...one noticeable one in his neck and lots the rest of the way down. The other lavender's he had available were all fine

I regularly get kinked babies from Lav x anything. All but one of my kinked babies has been het/homo Lav.

All other morphs- kinks? I've hatched kinked lavender morphs, as well as bloodred morphs and even a couple normals. It would be nice to know what caused them. Genetic? Incubation accident? Retained sperm, for sure. Just developement gone wrong?

I think lavenders, both related and unrelated, seem to exhibit it more, but is that just because we always blame the lavender gene?

Back