• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

light question

Divado7

i was wondering since i heard that corns are nocturnal, that means they only come out at night. should i use a red bulb or a white one for its heat source. would he come out more often in the day. cuz right now he stays in his hide all the time, and so does my female.

Im currently using an infrared 50wheat lamp with a bulb guard to keep my corn off it. It provides heat as well as light(for you). Corns dont really need a light unless you want to view them pretty much. You can use a UTH to provide heat aswell. As long as you regulate your temperatures you dont really need a light at all.

Hope this helps.

You should use an Under Tank Heater controlled by a thermostat. You can buy the Zoo Med 500R Thermostat on line cheaply, or get instant gratificaiton at Petco/Petsmart for about double the price (but no shipping). The heat mat should cover 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottom of your tank. I have Zoo Meds and Exo Terras. The Zoo Meds run hotter, but all need a thermostat so you don't burn your snake.

Nanci

ok so basically what i'm hearing is that corns don't need light they just need heat. a temperature of what, somewhere around 80 degrees. so if i can obtain this heat with a light and view my snake at the same time with that light then why would i invest on a UTH?

Corns use belly heat to help the digest their meals although its not absolutely necissary they do prefer it.

UTHs are also far cheaper to operate using less then a 6th of the power used by your average 50-60W heat lamp.

Back to the original question about light color - If you do decide to go with light rather than UTHs, just go with a normal light cycle. Use white light during the day for viewing and heat, and use a red or black bulb at night (NOT the same as a black light that you'd find at parties and stuff) for heat.

You could also use a red or black bulb 24/7 if you really wanted to, but if you want to view your corn during the day the red/black bulbs will make it look weird.

For what it's worth right now I have a UTH under the viv and a white undercabinet light in the viv itself. It doesn't do anything for the heat, but it lights nice and evenly and doesn't get hot enough to harm the snake if he were to touch it.

Back