• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lucy the Snow

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
Here are some photos of one of my newest snakes, Lucy the snow, from Christen. She is such a sweet baby.

Putting her on a white piece of paper makes her look really pink.

baby_lucy_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d6g0u4h.jpg

lucy_the_snow_corn_snake_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d6g0ttp.jpg

I'll get more photos of her once she settles in. I can't wait to see her grow up!

It was overcast today, so I tried to get some photos of Lucy. She really wanted to explore and not sit still.

lucy_the_snow_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d6j4tm1.jpg

lucy_the_snow_2_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d6j4u5j.jpg

She is gorgeous! My oldest daughter really wanted our first to be a snow, but I was set on an anery (and ended up with our ghost). I would LOVE to add a nice pink snow to our collection now, though! :)

Hey Hypno, how easy are corns to photo shoot outside at a younger age? I've been really curious about trying to get some close-ups of Cruella outside, but I'm just real nervous to try as I don't want her to slither away somewhere and put me in a situation where I can't get to her.

I have a real open area in my common grounds between town houses where I was going to test, just wanted to know if there was an approximate age where you all became comfortable doing it. She is pretty chill and isn't incredibly flighty.

Sorry for the hijack, just seemed like a good thread to ask. I love that pic of her navigating the grass. It looks like she is trying to find a path to take and is deep in her thought process, haha.

Hey Hypno, how easy are corns to photo shoot outside at a younger age? I've been really curious about trying to get some close-ups of Cruella outside, but I'm just real nervous to try as I don't want her to slither away somewhere and put me in a situation where I can't get to her.

I have a real open area in my common grounds between town houses where I was going to test, just wanted to know if there was an approximate age where you all became comfortable doing it. She is pretty chill and isn't incredibly flighty.

Sorry for the hijack, just seemed like a good thread to ask. I love that pic of her navigating the grass. It looks like she is trying to find a path to take and is deep in her thought process, haha.

I think it depends a lot on the individual snake and your own confidence level in handling her. My pictures are taken in my backyard, so at the very least, I know there are no predators or pesticides. You also just want to make sure that the temperature is not too hot or cold for them, which is another reason I like to take photos in the yard because I can take them inside right away if I think it's getting too hot out.

This particular snake is pretty calm. She definitely tries to slither away from me once I put her on the grass, but I don't let her go far. All of my snakes REALLY like to try to burrow down into the grass, especially if it hasn't been mowed in a while. They can get under the grass and get out of your eyesight really quickly, so whenever I see them poking their head down into the grass, I just kinda tap their nose or put a finger under their chin to keep them from doing that.

So basically, when I take them out for photos, it goes like this: set snake down on grass, take a few quick photos, readjust or pick up snake, set snake back down, take a few photos, etc. It's not like you can just set them there and take tons of photos - they will definitely try to leave. And I always keep them right within reach, so I can grab them quickly if I need to.

If you have a helper, it's a lot easier too.

Good luck with your photos if you decide to try some outdoorsy ones!

Great info, especially the last part about the lather, rinse, repeat stuff. I will try and get the wife to help out one day in the near future. Don't think letting the four year old be the "fetcher" is the best idea, haha.

Thanks for the tips Hypno. Definitely admire your photography skills. May pm you for tips at some point.

I agree with having a helper! Even a young child can hold your camera/phone while you grab a snake. I love bringing mine out for pictures in natural light.

That is one nice looking snow. You did a great job capturing the true colors of that snake.

Take care!

Orlando

Lucy has grown a lot since her last photos. She's gotten some soft pinks in her saddles, a decent amount of yellow along her neck and sides, and some purplish areas. Her belly checkers are a beautiful lemon yellow. It's pretty much impossible to accurately capture her colors, though! She continues to have a lovely, sweet personality.

lucy_the_snow_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d81w9d0.jpg

This thread is great, I was curious myself about the photo taking- I love the line "They will definitely try to leave" !! "Bye!" lol I can't wait to take some photos of my first baby- I'm gunna have my boyfriend with me so incase anything happens, I have two sets of eyes :p

Beautiful snow!! I hope to, if all goes well with my first, get a snow as my second snake, I am just absolutely in LOVE with the pink snakes in general =)

Back