• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lunar lights?

azhketh

Does anyone use Lunar Lights () for their terrarium? I've been looking for something to use to light up my hatchling's home, and stumbled across these; wondering if they're any good and how bright they are..

I have one for the anoles. They aren't very bright and it looks almost purple. I used it on the snakes for a bit, and I noticed more regularity in their nocturnal activity, but maybe something else was affecting that as well.
**They do give off heat though, so be careful and factor that into your temps.**

Good luck!

Are you looking to use this to heat your tank or are you just looking for night illumination? As far as heating you are far better off using an under tank heating mat to heat your corn snake tanks.

They are really only any good if you want to show off your reptiles at night. These lights dont bother the snakes nocturnal stuff so you will get to see them better moving about at night. They dont offer any other benefit.

No, I just want them for illumination. I already have a UTH hooked up to a thermostat.

midnightgallop, have you noticed about how much of an effect on temperature they have? A degree or two, a few degrees?

No, I just want them for illumination. I already have a UTH hooked up to a thermostat.

midnightgallop, have you noticed about how much of an effect on temperature they have? A degree or two, a few degrees?

It's been awhile since I've had it hooked up for the snakes. I had it on the top of the screen and I think it raised it a few degrees (enough for me have to adjust the UTH a bit), but it depends on how close you have it to the tank and what wattage it is. Hope this helps.

Oh yes, and by a few degrees, I mean just that. It won't be a drastic change, but it will have an effect and if your temp is already high on the warm side, then it can make a difference. It's useful for when you have a glass tank and the air temp is lower than you'd like.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Might have to be careful during the summer, but right now it shouldn't pose a problem.

Yeah that was the last time I used it (during the summer). It should be fine no worries. It's not a very drastic temp change.

I was thinking about getting one of these myself, I'm glad it's got some good reviews so far. I may be picking one up tomarrow, so I can let you know then how it is. ;)

I'd recommend cold cathode tubes. Designed to light the interior of computer enclosures they run off a D.C. adapter & give off no heat whatsoever. Brightness is adjustable using an adapter with multi voltages. Many colours available - take a look on Ebay. The picture below is max brightness @ 12 volts.

Attachments

• S4010808.JPG
    S4010808.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 10
Back