• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Making het bloodred + ?????

Making het bloodred + ????

• hypo A het lavender/stripe/anery

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Amel het anery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anery-motley het amel

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Motley het lavender

• Snow Stripe

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Miami

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Red Candycane

• Opal

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

wyzza

b'jour ménamis amaréquain
Hey guys, I have a bloodred female that will be ready to breed next year and I'm wondering which one of my males to put her with.

I love bloodreds but I'm not really up-to-date on what mixes are good with that gene.

I don't have a bloodred male and I don't plan on getting one.. it's a big MAYBE, but I don't want to look at this option for the moment.

So I plan to make het babies and then keep them and have a little project with them in the years to come.

So, knowing what combinations are good.. which male would you suggest I use in order to produce regular multiple het babies with a great future genetic potentiel ?

Here are the choices

The hypo A option really gives you more options in the F1 generation to breed back together and get hypo bloods, poss plasma and granite, with the chance of stripes thrown in for good measure.

I think depending on how many kids you can ceep back..i think I would go with the males that will produce the "safer" hets.. so the snowstripe is 1:st choise and the opal is numer 2...for me.. :grin01:

good luck with you girly!

hypo all the way

The hypo with all those hets gives you the best chance of getting a really varied clutch when you breed a male back to mom. Thats what I'd do If I was in your place. Good luck.

Hum, I'm surprised. This poll as been very interesting.

Many of you suggest my Hypo male with multiple hets, even if the outcome will be babies het blood/het hypo with many 50%s (wich I don't like working with :) )

I thought it would lean more towards mye opal male.

Why ?

I'm I missing something ?

Like I said, I'm not up-to-date on the good mixes with bloodred...

Is the hypo-blood a really cool corn ? or is it the fact that my male has many hets ?

What encouraged you to vote for this guy ?

WYZ

scottsquatch said:
The hypo with all those hets gives you the best chance of getting a really varied clutch when you breed a male back to mom. Thats what I'd do If I was in your place. Good luck.

Back to mom ?

There won't be anything special doing so, she's simply a bloodred. I' ll probably just get some normal and some bloodreds, no surpirses there.

Did you wanna say, breeding dad back with a couple of it's daughter ?

WYZ

Breeding back to Dad.. Then what was the use of breeding the blood for then? Kind of like shooting yourself in the foot with the difussion gene isn't it?

Regards... Tim of T and J

I voted for the snow stripe, for the same reason as loise. It will give you definite hets, and the resulting F2's will give you the greatest clutch variation. I did not post when I first voted because loise had given the same reason I had in mind.

wyzza said:
I thought it would lean more towards mye opal male.

Why ?

I'm I missing something ?

Like I said, I'm not up-to-date on the good mixes with bloodred...
sorry for the double post but I did not address this question.

I think it is because of the way you worded your first post. The way it reads to me is that you wanted to make a multi het clutch that would give you the most variation in the F2's. But judging by the post I quoted it seems like you want to produce the most valuable or rarest morph possible. If this is the case I would go with the snow stripe or the opal because lav bloods and stripe bloods are rare and will go for some good money.

Striped snow . .

Striped snow will yield the most popular (and therefore valuable) babies. As previously stated, you don't mess with possible hets this way. Each baby is positively het for many things. Not only will striped bloods of any flavor be very highly sought, but you get on first base for some great ultramel fodder. Imagine a striped ultramel blood. The byproducts of many of your potential pairings in this line include striped bloods, striped snow bloods, striped amel bloods and striped anery bloods. No worrying about whether your bloods will have the cluttered laterals or not. With stripes, the sides are always cleaner.

Not only do you present yourself with better F2 and F3 potential, but people will pay more for animals het for amel, anery, stripe and bloodred. You also find out more quickly what genes your blood may be hiding. With a multi-het sire, you may get false negatives. Unless you get many eggs, the blood could be het for one of the traits of a het sire and you won't get an example of that gene because there weren't enough babies to hit the Mendelian stats.

Right now, everyone should be thinking "red eyes". Ultramel fodder. Heck, unbeknownst to you, the striped snow could even be some degree of bloodred already. Striped serpents are good at masking such traits. Classically patterned corns are not so good at hiding that.

Good luck,

Don
www.cornsnake.NET

Back