• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Man with "dog tame" croc?

I think operant conditioning is great for behavior modification in humans, dogs, cats, and monkey's; but not so convinced this can work in whole for reptiles. Maybe clicking for food like pavlov and his bell for the dog, but not good behavior for a croc forever. I can't explain why the croc hasn't taken a tasty chunk yet, but its going to happen one day- even well trained dogs turn on their owners out of the blue.

To a point routine works don't get me wrong and getting the croc in a crate is different than swimming with it like that guy was. They have to have some intelligence they've survived longer than most species, but I don't think they have emotional intelligence. I can say come here stupid to my dog and he comes because he wants me to pet and snuggle him. I say sit and he does because he wants to please me, but I don't think a croc would respond to the human out of love/loyalty and more routine and reward. It's interesting data but I still think while all animals can be trained to a point there is a huge difference between those with emotional intelligence and those who are reponding to the routine of the reward system. What is motivating now may not be motivating in the future because for the croc the response is not connected to a feeling of love, loyalty, and accomplishment and rather just a signal to act if they want the reward and when they no longer care about the reward someone's becoming lunch:)

To a point routine works don't get me wrong and getting the croc in a crate is different than swimming with it like that guy was. They have to have some intelligence they've survived longer than most species, but I don't think they have emotional intelligence. I can say come here stupid to my dog and he comes because he wants me to pet and snuggle him. I say sit and he does because he wants to please me, but I don't think a croc would respond to the human out of love/loyalty and more routine and reward. It's interesting data but I still think while all animals can be trained to a point there is a huge difference between those with emotional intelligence and those who are reponding to the routine of the reward system. What is motivating now may not be motivating in the future because for the croc the response is not connected to a feeling of love, loyalty, and accomplishment and rather just a signal to act if they want the reward and when they no longer care about the reward someone's becoming lunch:)
Maybe thats because you are conditioned to seeing films of Crocodiles entering the water to attack adventurers and seeing puppies on Birthday cards.... You conditioning is biased towards the cute and fluffy...
Do you have a Crocodile?????
How about this famous video. I know it's not a Crocodile, but the subject matter is interesting enough to include....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5mvOpCnvI&feature=related

Love that video...While they do ignore the food; Are they truly seeking his attention or do they see him as a means of "escape" from their pen?

That video reminds me of my chahouas who act the same exact way even after their food is there and they have no more use for me. I have been told they do not seek human interaction and have argued these guys are more like dogs so maybe you are correct and crocs could love us too...maybe. Sometimes I wonder if my chewies just smell food and each other on me and think maybe I'm one of them,lol but then again cheech has tried more than once to mate my hand.

That video reminds me of my chahouas who act the same exact way even after their food is there and they have no more use for me. I have been told they do not seek human interaction and have argued these guys are more like dogs so maybe you are correct and crocs could love us too...maybe. Sometimes I wonder if my chewies just smell food and each other on me and think maybe I'm one of them,lol but then again cheech has tried more than once to mate my hand.
Too much information...... LOL
I don't know what is happening exactly.... I wouldn't bet my life on playing with anything I didn't understand, and I don't understand these animals....
I do like to keep an open mind on the subject though, and I'm still in the camp that these animals can be tamed, but you do it.... Me I want glass or a fence between me and them..... Thats my conditioning.... LOL
Last year I had a chance to get in with a few venomous (that King cobra was one of them) I was nervous when I thought about what I was intending to do, and it was a bum clenching moment being stood about 4 ft away from an adult King cobra fully hooded up... I was briefed on what to expect and what was expected of me and the snakes involved...
Needless to say I am still here and my expectations of the experience were nothing like exactly what took place.... That human imagination for you...

Back