• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Maternal Incubation

The female loses interest after a few days. She might stay there if it's the coziest place, but I don't think it's because of the eggs. Then you essentially have an incubator inside the viv, and trying to keep it proper humidity can be an issue. If they aren't clumped, there's also the threat that she might turn the eggs crawling over them.

And once females aren't using the lay box for actual laying, they use it for the toilet.

Funny, I've been breeding corns for 5 years and never once did I think about/research whether or not corns are maternal like balls!

I guess in the wild they just slither off and hope the eggs make it?

You know what's really cool- rattlesnakes. The babies stay at the den with Mom for quite a long time. There is a website called Social Snakes which monitors them!

Elaphe and Pantherophis (Opheodrys, Coluber, Lampropeltis, all north american colubrids I've had experience with over the years) in the wild, that lay eggs,...lay and leave. Forever. If you've ever found shells or eggs in the wild...they are in very hidden and safe places. No room for mum to sit around in curlers, a robe, and slippers.

Interestingly, I have read anecdotally of Diadophis often exhibiting communal laying. That, to me, is rather fascinating. And probably a more complex behavior than at first glance.

Here is a google-search-link, https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=diadophis+communal+egg+laying&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8.
Check out "Coluber constrictor communal 'nesting' in Colorado", too.
In this last article, it mentions 5 or so genera exhibiting communal laying. Absolutely fascinating.

Back