• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mites

komodo_28

Rising Snake Addict
Well im sad to say my collection has gotten mites. I have researched alot about them and bought a few cans of PAM and have been using that along with nix and they still are not gone :mad:
Anyone have any suggestions? I have changed substrate completely before doing PAM a week ago and now I am switching to all paper towels until they are gone. I have only seen the mites on my Burms and Balls but havent seen any on my corns, although I am still treating them too. From what I read the PAM is supposed to kill them quickly but I still see mites here and there walking around on the paper towels of some of them. And I do quarentine, but trust me I am going to be alot stricter about it, I dont want to have to treat 30+ snakes again. So if you have any more suggestions please let me know!

Also on a side note I will not be selling any of the snakes I have for sale until the mites are gone.

I have been using the Provent-a-Mite (PAM) and there are still survivors walking around, it has killed alot but not all. I am learning that mites suck and are not as easy to get rid of as I thought.

I would also put vaseline at the top of the vivs or tubs. The mites will get stuck in it when they try to crawl out and find another host. I would use paper towels. You can see the mites better. I used prevent a mite, mite off and regular ol' veggie oil. I would give them a bath then rub them down with mite off and veggie oil. Then I would pre treat the paper towels with prevent a mite.

Some products do not kill the eggs. So they will live in the substrate and then hatch and you seem to be reinfested.

If you decide to use the Nix treatment, I believe it's recommended to use it half strength, and I wouldn't use it on hatchlings (2012's). I would do three treatments, the walls, floor, everything.

Thanks for the help, I just got done treating everyone. I didnt nix the 2012s, but they did get a really good looking over and I didnt see anything but I will keep a very close eye on them. I do have them in their own room so I will take them all out tomorrow or this weekend and go over the whole room.

Nanci, I have been using a bottle of nix to a gallon of distilled water. I wonder if its not working because I have it diluted too much :shrugs:
By the way the three I got from you are eating like champs and are doing great!

I have done two treatments but I didnt use nearly enough PAM according to the video, Thanks for the video it helped alot. I will retreat again in a week using more PAM than I have been and I will see how that works. Thanks again for the help!

I have been using the Provent-a-Mite (PAM) and there are still survivors walking around, it has killed alot but not all. I am learning that mites suck and are not as easy to get rid of as I thought.

Sorry Ryan, I really thought you meant Pam, the cooking spray. I think that has been used in the past...Hope you get it squared away...

I am glad to say that the treatments have finally started to kill the mites! I looked over all of my snakes and found one mite on a ball that I didnt nix because she is about to shed. I will do a compete treatment of the room this sunday and hopefully that takes care of any straglers. Thank you guys for your help!

Back