• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

More egg advice

Jessica71

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice. I think I am getting obsessed about my corn eggs! My corn laid 10 eggs on May 29th, so they're now on day 34. Do eggs grow at the same rate as each other if they are in the same clutch? I would have thought they would, because hatching tends to be pretty synchronous, I know. This is the first time I've bred - you can tell!

Anyway I'm posting two pictures of my eggs, one taken on June 18th, one on June 28th. I know you're all going to tell me it's my imagination! Basically every time I look the five eggs stuck together look larger and feel much more turgid than the four stuck together and the one on its own. The four together and the single one feel as though their outer "skin" has more give in it before it hits the next layer down in the egg. I've done everything to try to correct this. The humidity has been slightly under 80% so I've been misting the vermiculite like mad, but the humidity has stayed the same. I've misted the actual eggs which feel less turgid - nothing has happened. The ones which are bigger and more turgid are less buried in the vermiculite, so then I think, am I doing it all wrong, are the smaller ones too damp? Aaarggh! They're driving me crazy! It just seems that these ones are striding ahead and the others are not changing. I know I'm beating myself up over it but it's a pride thing. I know if the eggs are bad nothing I can do will change it anyway. But if anyone has any suggestions to stop me going off my rocker completely I'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot,

Jessica :)

Attachments

• Copy of P6180193.JPG
    Copy of P6180193.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Copy of P6280011.JPG
    Copy of P6280011.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 47
Sorry, I'll try again. It's a bit of a pain having to resize my pics every time - went a bit over the top there.

Attachments

• Copy of P6180193.JPG
    Copy of P6180193.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Copy of P6280011.JPG
    Copy of P6280011.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 49
Do fraternal twins grow at the same rate since they came from the same parents and were born on the same day? No. :) So why should eggs?

Take deep breaths and quit fussing over the eggs so much... If the eggs aren't dimpled, then don't worry about it. (And some advice for the future: no matter how panicked you are about hatch dates, don't go cutting eggs open because the clutch hasn't pipped 'on time'... I know how impatient first-time breeders can get -- I used to be one. ;))

BTW, the pics are too small to tell anything about the eggs from them. Can your camera take any larger images?

-Kat

Ahh... I can see them better in that second set of shots... They don't look dehydrated in the least... in fact, they might be overhydrated...

-Kat

I was fiddling around with my pics while you were replying! Thanks for the quick reply and reassurance. So yes, I am going off my rocker! I just needed someone to tell me that, thank you! The problem is my camera takes images which when uploaded to the computer with my photo software are around 700-800kB and this forum will only let you download ones of 293kB, so every one has to be resized and often my brain gets confused in the downsizing.

Thanks for the advice - I'll leave them alone when it comes to hatching! And I'll try to chill out!

Jessica

Back