• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mouse Genetics?

Dale

Interventions won't work
Male black and white fancy to an albino female.

Offspring - 12 identical brownish-blacks (wild type coloration)

Is the fancy mouse color combo recessive??

Is the fancy mouse color combo recessive??
It depends on the colour and pattern. The non agouti [the hair all same colour, like black] is recessive to agouti. Almost all colour, pattern and eye colour is also recessive, so if the parents are not at least het something, the offspring will be wild-type.

• Albino is a recessive gene that wipe out all the colours, so technically a mouse can be any colour [black, brindle, agouti, merle, whatever] if it is a true albino [there are also other type of pink eye white that isn't an albino, like c-dilute pink-eye yellow for example].

But with some colour and pattern, like banded, brindle and and lethal yellow, it is a dominant gene.

---
In this case the buck does not carry abino gene, and the doe does not carry non agouti and pied, so the result is all agouti pups.

I see, so my tan and white male, and black and white are actually considered pieds, and are recessive. When Offspring carrying tan pied and black pied are crossed will there be a dominant pied color that wins out or can you get black/tan/white pied combos??

Sorry for such a late reply, I wasn't here very often.

With the pied, since both of the parents are pied, all of the offspring will be pied [and maybe some all white, which is basically pied with too much white].

Also, what do you mean by tan? Tan [orangy brown] colour mouse or black/blue/choc/whatever with tan belly? Is the coat ticked? If it is all brownish colour all over the hair length [with pied], I'd assume that is it a recessive yellow, in this case all babies will be black pied unless the black pied parent carries yellow. If it is tan belly, half of the babies will have tan belly [tan is dominant]. If it is an agouti base tan colour [cinnamon or argente], then all babies will be agouti pied, unless the tan one carries non-agouti gene and/or red eye. It really depends on what you mean by tan.

[Yeah, mouse genetics are a bit complicate]

Tan could also be unmarked brindle too. I have a few yellow mice that are not recessive yellow.
American brindle is dominant over agouti.
I have agouti, black, blue, pieds, brindles, siamese, buramese, satins and varigated(dominant spot) mice in my colony.
I like the pretty colors :) Atleast my snakes aren't picky.

Oh, I just completely forgot about brindles. Undermark American brindle can be yellow colour. [American Brindle is dominant, X-Brindle is recessive]

Jeez, this coming rodent cross is going to be more interesting than my snakes. I currently have 2 agouti litters one het for black pied and albino, the other het for "tan" pied and albino.

On the tan, its a very light brown (almost an orange-brown?) coat color... not belly.

Back