• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving, How Should I Transport My Snake?

jakesmommy

Hello everyone,
I'm going to be moving in a few weeks and I wanted suggestions on how to transport my corn snake?
It's about a 5 hour drive, and I'm wondering if I should just leave her in her tank (42gallons) on the backseat of my car? Or I have a smaller (15gallons) tank that I feed her in. Would it be better to put her in that and keep her on my lap with me?
I realize a move is going to stress her out no matter what, but I would like to keep the stress as minimal as possible.
Thank you for your input.

Your goals for the move are: don't cook her, don't let her escape, stress her as little as possible.

Is she an adult? If so, I would put her in a snake bag/pillow case, with the top tied securely. Put that in a plastic container like a tupperware, with holes, to prevent squishing her. Pretty much just big enough for her to fit in. Put that in a small cooler with a couple ice packs. Wrap the ice packs in newspaper, and don't set the snake directly on them- have a towel or something in between. Depending on how hot it is in the car, leave the lid to the cooler cracked open, or open the cooler say once an hour. I'd prefer to leave it cracked open- with the lid closed but not locked shut, if you know what I mean, not blocked open at all. If you park the car to go eat, take the snake bag and put it in your purse, or carry the tupperware in. Don't leave her alone in the parked car, even in the cooler, for more than a few minutes. Offer her a drink before you bag her up, but there is no need to try to water her on the trip.

Don't feed her for- I'd say, five days before the trip. When you arrive, give her several days to settle in, just as if she was a new snake, before feeding. I wouldn't handle her during this time. You want her to de-stress completely from the move before feeding her. And I would make the first meal or two smaller than normal.

I moved across the country (2 days drive) with my snakes. All I did was put them in a black pillowcase, in a cardboard box, where they remained for the whole trip and they were fine! This summer I routinely drove 5+ hours with my snakes and all I did was put them in a plastic shoebox covered with a towel. Sounds like an easy move s I wouldnt worry :)

Nanci’s answer is very good. Be very careful of getting the snake too hot. That would be my biggest worry.

A five hour drive is not bad. It's about what I had when moving from San Francisco Bay Area to Oregon. I kept the snakes in snake bags inside tupperwares and the smaller ones in delis, all inside a cardboard box with a sheet draped over that to keep the sun off it, and I just kept the A/C on so it was comfortable for them. I drove straight through, a five hour drive you can do in one shot, no need to stop anywhere on the way. And of course set up the snakes habitats as soon as you get there before you unpack anything else.

We have a similar situation, but only a one and a half hour drive. We have a 3 month old snake- is it wise to do the pillow case thing? Since Nanci asked if the snake was an adult we're worried that it might not be suitable for our baby. It's going to be in mid-September in England so hopefully the weather won't be too hot.

Good luck with the move! I wouldn't be to worried about the drive with the snake. I would put them in pillow cases and then in a tupperware container and put a sheet over it so the sun won't get to it to much. Just remember if you have no air conditioning- to make it a place where the sun won't hit as frequently. It really honestly should be that bad of a move for you.

Good luck with the move! I wouldn't be to worried about the drive with the snake. I would put them in pillow cases and then in a tupperware container and put a sheet over it so the sun won't get to it to much. Just remember if you have no air conditioning- to make it a place where the sun won't hit as frequently. It really honestly should be that bad of a move for you.

I mean't shouldn't be that bad of a move for you. LOL...

thank you everyone for your replies,
i will try the pillow case/tupperware/sheet idea and i will be sure to post an update after our move!!

Back