• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my 3 Hognose's

aleks

Those are all keepers! I am new to the hognose world since last summer! Since then I had to get 2 females to go whit my male Extreme red albino!

They are all from Extrem hog in the US

first her is my male extreme red albino.

10565053_669118773179739_9175540803314970925_n.jpg

then my Female Extreme red albino

10478237_669118796513070_6671059236351543069_n.jpg

and the last one. Female Anaconda 66% het toffy

10519260_669114133180203_1481621350834713173_n.jpg

I was going to ask the same. These are the one species of snake that never defensively bites.

Happened to notice, pic 2 looks like a female, and it's labeled male. I'm not 100% but it sure looks male in the photo...

The tail shapes and lengths are night and day in this species. Although there will be some "tweeners" that look male but "grow into their tails," 98% of them with long tails and look male out of the egg are indeed male. I've only ever had one do this, and Troy Rexroth once had another. Take a look at the pictures, the anaconda in the last photo is a typical female tail (just stops right away after the vent), the snake in the second picture is a typical male tail. If Alexs wants to post another photo (and a ventral one) we could probably say for sure.

Happened to notice, pic 2 looks like a female, and it's labeled male. I'm not 100% but it sure looks male in the photo...

Hum i see 0.1 on that picture. So dont know where u see a male in the label? And i do confurm, its a female

I was going to ask the same. These are the one species of snake that never defensively bites.

I don't know about defensively, but I went to pick up my albino male last night and our encounter began with him trying to bite my finger. You might want to ease up on the use of the words never and bites in the same sentence.

Hum i see 0.1 on that picture. So dont know where u see a male in the label? And i do confurm, its a female

He doesn't see a mistake in the label. When looking at the snake itself, he sees a longer, more male looking tail. I do as well. But you have the snake so I guess you'd know better than us.

I don't know about defensively, but I went to pick up my albino male last night and our encounter began with him trying to bite my finger. You might want to ease up on the use of the words never and bites in the same sentence.

I hope no one missed the word "defensively," because that would be a shame. ;) And the "mean" female biting was almost certainly feeding response. As mad as they can get, they simply do not open mouth strike. At least, I've never seen evidence of it, and I have have clocked a lot of hands on hognose hours over the years.

My dyslexia got the best of me. It looks male, but is labeled female, my apologies.

I know they're not suppose to, but she is mean. I'll see if I can remember to get a video next time I go over there. I do think that selective breeding can bring out what we want in our animals but can also bring out what we don't want. It's logical that we could breed ill temperament into snakes and different aggressive responses while playing with our color morphs. The male we had a sweetie, female puffs and hisses and strikes.

Most all hogs hiss puff and strike, that's what they do! They don't however, strike with an open mouth, even at food. When they eat, they open their mouths and "push" or push their snouts against their prey and then open.

I just took a video trying to get some hogs to strike me. If it turns out good, I'll upload it. I've been wanting to video feeding, so I can do those side by side when I feed them next (scheduled for Tuesday).

Most all hogs hiss puff and strike, that's what they do! They don't however, strike with an open mouth, even at food. When they eat, they open their mouths and "push" or push their snouts against their prey and then open.

Again, that same albino hogs leads with his mouth open. He's usually gaping before the mouse is even in the tongs. And boy does he strike.

I probably don't have the hog hours you have, but after almost 10 years of keeping and 5 of breeding, I have seen some hognose stuff.

Back