• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Craigslist scores of the weekend! (snake and t-stat!)

spyderk

Just a member
First, the non-living score. I found a listing for a redline herpstat 1, reptile basics IR thermometer, 2 ceramic water bowls, and a hemostat. All in excellent, barely used condition. The herpstat was still in the original packaging with manuals. $60!! I had to drive an hour and a half to get it, but I still saved a lot.

Then a few days ago I had sent my husband a CL link to a Red Tail Boa, which turns out to be a Columbian, not a true red tail. Anyway, I just sent it because it was a pretty animal. I know from him saying so that he would not want a big snake like that. Ever since I held a pretty big one last summer, he has known I admire them but respect his decision. He also sends me links to guns and bows and whatnot, so just sending a link isn't a request, you know?

Anyway, he asked if having a big snake like that would be an even better thing to bring to reptile events. I have only done 2, and I do have people ask to come here to see our animals, but I always said that when mine were bigger, I would start by letting local libraries or whatever know that I was available to do small presentations.

I told him that sure, having a bigger snake is always impressive. Then he told me to look into that snake. I did, but after quite a few emails she told me that someone else was interested and coming the next day. I told him this, and instead of him saying "oh well" like I expected, he told me to tell her that I'd come down that night to look it over and get it if it was healthy. She countered by asking for more money, but even so it was a good deal. I figured he'd say no, forget it. He said YES, pay the extra, go get that snake. I think she's the perfect one. So I didn't argue, and I got the snake! Before i did, I consulted with a few "boa people" that I have come to know online, which was great.

I named her Casey. I know she's a girl, but the name is from the NBC series, Chuck. John Casey is a big tough guy (who ends up having a soft side), and she'll be my only big and muscular snake so I thought it was a good fit. Casey's daughter is named Alex so my kids call her Alex Casey. We've only had her one day, but in the times we have held her, she is very docile and slow moving. She definitely has good muscle tone! I am not surprised, after holding a big one last summer.

She came with everything that the owner had, though now she's using the herpstat with a better heat pad that I already had. She also gave me over 100 mice, mostly adults and young adults, but with some hoppers mixed in. My other snakes will enjoy those!

My husband comes home from work on Tuesday, so we shall see what he thinks of HIS decision! Of course I am thrilled, but I never planned to ask to have a boa out of respect for him and the amount of snakes we already have and the size issue. But we do have the finances for it, we just bought a house with way more room, and he is pretty handy at building, so I can see a 4 ft cage in the future.

What a surprising weekend! Here are 2 pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20140302_005958 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_20140302_005958 (600x800).jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20140302_094944 (677x800).jpg
    IMG_20140302_094944 (677x800).jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 151
Congratulations - so glad you and your husband both agreed on this beauty, sh's gorgeous :D
(and I love Chuck - Casey is hilarious!)

Congratulations - so glad you and your husband both agreed on this beauty, sh's gorgeous :D
(and I love Chuck - Casey is hilarious!)

YES! Casey is awesome and hilarious. I watched when it was on, and we just wrapped up the entire show in the last 2 months.

I showed my husband other snakes and he was just adamant that he wanted me to have THIS one. This is the guy who doesn't like the size of adult corn snakes. I will save his texts as proof that I didn't twist his arm in any way, shape, or form!

Good looking boa and I love the name! Both my husband and I are Adam Baldwin fans.

Good looking boa and I love the name! Both my husband and I are Adam Baldwin fans.

I have to say, I am surprised that people know the name - that's awesome!

Thanks, all!

I am REALLY liking this Redline Herpstat vs. my Hydrofarms!

I literally just posted a thread inquiring about these guys just today! How neat and what a coincidence lol!

You'll love her. Boas are amazing. You'll want more!! Girls can and usually do get considerably larger in length and girth, than do boys. 8-9 foot, 20 lbs. or so. They are so inquisitive, yet calm and confident. Congrats!!!

Nice snake. Very pretty. Sorry she jacked the price on you. Have no idea why someone would do that but I am glad it worked out.

A few more pictures

It's really hard to capture her peach tones. I can't wait until summer when I can take her outside for a photo shoot! At the rate it's been going, it won't be until July.

I honestly thought that once she told me the price was going up, my husband would say oh well, but he didn't. I figured that I got $230 worth of stuff from the t-stat deal, so it still works out in my favor. I was told that she comes from Twin Cities Reptiles, and while there isn't 100% proof of that, Sara from TCR thinks she could be one of their salmon Columbian boas, and they usually are born in mid March, so she could just be turning 3 years old.

I am already looking forward to having a nice cage for her in our new house's family room. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140302_100645 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20140302_100645 (800x600).jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20140303_000400 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20140303_000400 (800x600).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20140303_120920 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20140303_120920 (800x600).jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20140303_120938 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_20140303_120938 (600x800).jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 46
That is totally messed up.

I still got a deal, I think. In total (not counting the gas to travel nearly 2 hours there and back) I paid $150. She came with 100+ mice, tongs, her bin, a human heat pad (which I replaced with an Ultratherm and the Herpstat), her water bowl, a bin for baths ... anyway, I really figured my husband would tell me to just keep looking but he was quite insistent on this one.

No, you got a fine deal. I drove five hours each way for a snake...twice! It's all part of the experience (as Clark Griswold once said)

Oh, and I lived through 32 looooooong Wisconsin winters. Not missing those one bit. It just might be July before you can get some outdoor pics this year.

No, you got a fine deal. I drove five hours each way for a snake...twice! It's all part of the experience (as Clark Griswold once said)

Oh, and I lived through 32 looooooong Wisconsin winters. Not missing those one bit. It just might be July before you can get some outdoor pics this year.

You are missing the WORST winter! I work at a vet clinic part time, and people who have lived here for 50+ years and telling me it hasn't been this bad since the 70s or 80s. It's all anyone can talk about.

I have someone else telling me she could be a pastel, so I may look into it a bit more and see if they do breed those at TCR.

It could be. My hypo pastel has more pink in his tail with very little black coloration. But, variations, you know? Either way, she's awesome and you're going to love her (and want more boas. It's a sickness! MWAHAHA!)

Yeah, all of my family is still up there, and my buddy, whose wife made him move back to WI from the Gulf Coast, haha. I just laugh at them :nyah::dgrin:

Back