• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My dog London.

Ginafish

Erotic Bagle
Hi all. I just felt that, since this is a corn snake community, and corn snakes are our beloved pets, I'd like to talk about another pet of mine for a bit. Her name is London.

I've had London, my Alaskan Malamute, since she was two months old. We grew up together, and in many ways, she was my best friend. Today, at London's vet visit, I found out she has cancer that has spread from her left front leg, all the way up into her humerous. This cancer caused a malformation and weakening of the bone, thus causing it to fracture. The vet informed us that there's no way it will heal and no way they can set such a deep bone. The only other option would be amputation, as my family cannot afford chemo. However, London has had hip dysplasia for several years, and limps on her back leg a bit, so amputating a front limb on such a large breed would basically amount to her not being able to get up anymore and walk.

She's ten years old, now, which basically makes her an 'old lady' by dog standards, particularly malamute standards. We don't want to compromise her dignity, and my parents and the vet feel it might be best to put her down. In the end, I am not sure what to think. Some say that if a dog can no longer get more enjoyment out of its life than is worth the amount of pain, that it might be time. I've never lost someone as close to me as London. She lived a good life by my side, and when I look into her eyes I can see the pain present in her body. She cried last night, and when I went to check on her there was nothing externally that seemed to be a problem. I feel that the amount of pain she is in now exceeds the joy she has gotten from life. It might sound strange, but I look into her face and see a sort of silent resignment.

I'm having a hard time coping with the idea that, within a few short days, my friend of ten years, the dog I talked to when no one would listen, who would wrestle with me in the yard and refuse to fetch any toy I threw for her (she would always obstinately sit on her haunches and just refuse to retrieve it, which lead to me continually tossing the toy...:0), might be gone from my life.

We currently have London back at home again, but only until Friday, which I guess is when her appointment is to be put down. I have been trying to keep her as comfortable as possible, but it's hard to watch her laying there, panting, clearly in pain. Tomorrow all my family is coming to visit to say their goodbyes to her. I don't think I'll ever be able to finish my goodbye.

This is a picture of London less than a year ago and in good health, being adorable with that doggy grin, as always:

IMG_1985.jpg

Thanks to anyone who's reading this, and understands the loss of a dear friend.

We had to put our Westie put down in June of '05. We had had him since I was 10 or 11, similar age to you, and he was 13 when he passed. It was, quite frankly, the most difficult thing I have EVER done in my entire life. I still, to this day feel guilty about it. I still wonder if I did the right thing by making the decision. My mother was incapable of making the decision herself- I was the one that signed the dotted line.... I know he was in pain. I know he had been "dead" for months, years even, due to the disfiguring skin condition he inherited, but it was still horrible to have to do that. To make that decision.

I do sympathize with you... I know what you are going through. If I can help in any way, let me know.

I'm sorry to hear that. But good for you for making the hard decision that is best for her. It's the best way to re-pay the kindness of a good canine friend, I think. Good luck.

I am deeply sorry about your situation. I know how it feels to lose your best 4 legged friend. I, last year, had to put down my eldest cat, who was 20 years old. I'm 21. He was with me for literally ALL of my life. He kept me company through all the hard times, and he owned my heart. But I knew he was dying, and it almost seemed as though he was holding on to his life for us. We made the decision to put him down, and as much as it killed me, I knew it was the right decision.

My dog, who is now my world, is 11 years old now. I know he's getting up there in age, and no matter how much energy he has, he's still only has a few short years with us. He still plays like a puppy, even though he's older, and he both of his legs are metal jointed from tearing both knee ligaments, I still fear the day he has to leave me. He's my back bone. He's my conidant. My best friend. My baby. I can only imagine how you are feeling.

I hope you find some comfort in knowing that she will no longer be in pain. I know it's difficult, but she will forever live in your heart.

I know your decision has been a difficult one, but you have made the right choice. London's suffering will soon be over.

Back