• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mystery barb

I've noticed that the last teeny tiny scale on some of my snakes' tails is pointed like a scorpion stinger. Is that what you're talking about?

You can upload your photo to any photo-hosting website, like photobucket, and then right-click the image and select copy image location. Then when you go to make a post here, there's a button that looks like a little mountain and you can paste the code in there. If you used the advanced reply, you can also always preview your post to see if your photos posted properly.

I looked through most of my snakes this evening to see how many had the barb and actually only one does. I tried to take some pictures of it, but he's still a pretty small snake, so it's hard to see.

IMG-5263.jpg

IMG-5266.jpg

Those pictures also make it look a lot bigger than it does in real life. If you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't even see it. And so far it doesn't seem to affect this snake, but I did notice that the last shed he had, a tiny piece of the tail shed was stuck inside-out to the end of the barb, so I had to work it off with a damp paper towel.

It has sometimes seemed to me like they intentionally poke it into my hand, but I'm not sure. It's sharp on some snakes!

Back