• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need some help here!!

jmayer0708

i have another thread going but i figured id start a new one for this. my clutch of 8 eggs started hatching on the 17th. number 5 and 6 pipped today. now mom is normal and dad is charcoal. the babies are all normals het for charcoal......or are they? number 6 is bright pink with black eyes but from what ive read and been told, this is impossible. any thoughts on what morph this might be because if you look at what the parents are, the babies should all be normal het for charcoal and nothing else.

Attachments

• 100_0539.JPG
    100_0539.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 89
i have another thread going but i figured id start a new one for this. my clutch of 8 eggs started hatching on the 17th. number 5 and 6 pipped today. now mom is normal and dad is charcoal. the babies are all normals het for charcoal......or are they? number 6 is bright pink with black eyes but from what ive read and been told, this is impossible. any thoughts on what morph this might be because if you look at what the parents are, the babies should all be normal het for charcoal and nothing else.
Looks like mommy and daddy are het amel. What you see as black eyes are probably deep red. :) So he would be Amel het Charcoal.
:eatsmiley

If the eyes are normal, but the baby is bright red like that, most likely it's a hypo. That means that your charcoal is het for hypomelanism, and your normal is het for hypomelanism as well. Hypo is a very very common het, so it's not all that surprising for it to pop up. Congrats!

Looking at the nose those, more likely it is an amel and you aren't able to get a good look at the eyes yet. Take pics once the critter is out!

Ok bare with me im trying figure out how this whole genetic thing works with traits and morphs. i thought that because its charcoal it would hide all the other morphs, giving me all normal babies that are het for charcoal.. i wanted to breed my charcoal male to my carmel female and was told dont even bother because i wont get anything because of the charcoal. trying to figure this out is making my head hurt lol

In first generation you will get normals (and hypo's now) het. charchoal. If you breed them together, you'll get charcoals and hypo charchoals.
If you had bred your caramel with your charcoal, you'd had normals het. caramel, charcoal possible het. hypo. If you breed these two together, you'll get normals, caramel, charcoal and caramel charcoal. If both are also het. hypo, you'll also have a chance to get hypo's, hypo charcoals, hypo caramels and hypo caramel charcoals.

wow that just made my head hurt a little more lol. im starting to catch on to it all i think. i did breed my charcoal to my caramel 2 weeks ago. now im just waiting to see if she drops a clutch. i wasnt ready to check on the eggs and see a pink nose thats for sure.

Because charcoal removes nearly all other pigments except for black, yes, breeding it to a caramel is going to be fairly unproductive. It might have *some* effect, but you'll likely have a hard time telling a caramel charcoal from a normal charcoal sibling.

However, if you bred the charcoal to an amel, you'd get normals het amel charcoal. Breed those babies together and you'll get normals, amels, charcoals, and blizzards.

Breed the charcoal to a lavender motley, and you'll get normals het charcoal lavender motley. Breed those normals together and you get normals, charcoals, lavenders, normal motleys, lavender motleys, charcoal motleys, charcoal lavenders, and charcoal lavender motleys.

Breed the charcoal to a hypo bloodred/diffused and you'll get normals het charcoal hypo diffused. Breed the normals together and you'll get normals, charcoals, hypos, diffused, phantoms, hypo diffused, pewters and hypo pewters.

ok after reading up on the difference between anrey and charcoal, mines not a charcoal. its an anrey. theyre close to the same thing. didnt know how to tell them apart but now i do. mine has a grayish iris so its a anrey. if its iris was black it would be a charcoal

well the baby in question had its head all the way out of the egg. ran and got my camera, went to take a pic and it went back in the egg. figures. the head has a bright pink and so were the eyes and the pupil looked dark red. at least thats what it looked like at a quick glance. im hoping itll come out tonight so i can get some good pics of it and get them on here

At that description, it's an amel. :D That means your anery is het for amel, and your normal is het for amel. About 1/4 of the babies should be amels.

well so far 4 are out of their eggs and theyre normal. 3 have pipped and 2 of them are normal and then the one is amel. still waiting for the last egg to pip. its caved in pretty good on both sides but it still looks good. i candled it last night and it looks good. now with there being an amel, does that mean the normals are het for anrey and amel?

Because the dad is an anery, they are all absolutely het for anery.

However, as each parent contributes half its genetic material, that means that each parent can give a normal gene OR an amel gene.

Now, if each parent ends up contributing an amel gene, you get an amel. Sometimes only 1 parent will contribute the amel gene. These babies will look normal and have a single amel gene. However, sometimes neither parent will have contributed a gene. These babies are normal and do NOT carry the amel gene.

66% of the normal babies will have an amel gene, and 33% of them will not. You cannot tell them apart.

the amels out!!! waited up all night for it

Attachments

• 100_0551.JPG
    100_0551.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0554.JPG
    100_0554.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0555.JPG
    100_0555.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 53
I didn't realize you have two threads on this.
Did you see my comment on the other one that since both parents are het Amel, & dad is Anery, if mom is het anery, you could get snows as well.

well the last one that pipped is out. one egg to go but i dont know about it. doesnt look to good. the last one to hatch has a cool pattern. it has a strip down its neck instead of the normal saddles

Attachments

• 100_0556.JPG
    100_0556.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0558.JPG
    100_0558.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0559.JPG
    100_0559.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 37
wow am i pissed off! the last egg went bad and didnt make it. so i cut the egg to see if the baby was a morph and to try and figure out what might have happened. it has fully developed but the top of the head was really swollen. it almost looked like a ballon. it was a beautiful baby tho. it was a normal but had the pattern like an aztec and had a stripe running down its back from head to tail. im deff breeding mom and dad again next season!

Back