• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new corn snake have questions

marktimins

Hi I just got my first yesterday and just want to ask a few questions.
1. I know not to bother him for a week but what I don't know is should I feed him before I touch him?
2. I have reptile carpet in his tank so can I feed him in there for the first few feedings?
3. When the guy at the pet store took him out of the tank he kept on bitting him what I want to know is how to handle that and will he calm down? The guy was a afraid and used his shirt to pull him out does the bites hurt that bad?
I look forward to hearing all your advice,
mark

Hey, Congrats on you new corn! :wavey:

What I do when I get a new corn is I usually leave it alone for roughly 3 days. At that time I feed it for the first time and allow it to sit for 48 hours and digest. I think as long as it feeds successfully and there was no regurge, then you can safely assume that it is alright to handle.

Since repticarpet isnt something your corn can accidentally swallow while feeding, then yes I'd say it is safe for you to feed it in its viv. :cool:

It depends on how large this corn is for how bad a bite would hurt. if it is young, then I would not sweat getting bit at all. The worst part about it is really just feeling freaky cause a snake is biting you. It wont hurt to bad. If its an adult, itll hurt a bit, but still wont be the worst pain you've ever felt. And yes, over time a majority of corns become tame with handling, and being bit will not become much of an issue. This can happen after a few handlings, or in a matter of a couple months.

Enjoy your new pal ! :cheers:

^^^ what jzal said, and...

although it's okay from an "it won't cause impaction" standpoint to feed in the tank, there are several other reasons why you may not want to for long periods of time. For the first couple of feedings you'll probably be okay, but I wouldn't do it for very long. It can lead to your snake getting aggressive because it associates the opening of the tank with food, so you might be putting yourself at a higher risk of getting bitten. If you use the search tool on this forum (on the menu at the top of this page right underneath where it says "Welcome Marktimins"), you'll find a lot of discussion on whether or not it's okay to feed in the tank. It works for some people, but not for others, so it's your call.

I should clarify...

"although it's okay from an "it won't cause impaction" standpoint to feed in the tank" - that only applies to substrate like what you're using and others that can't be ingested, but not for stuff like aspen or anything else small enough to be swallowed.

Back