• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New snake

I've got a couple pvc jungle gyms (idea from BP.net), a small wooden rack for drying dishes(idea from someone on this site but I can't remember who), and one of those rubber dog balls that are crisscrossed strips with big openings (I believe that idea came from Dolly's Mom on this site). I am not a creative thinker, but the DIY forum has tons of ideas!

and one of those rubber dog balls that are crisscrossed strips with big openings (I believe that idea came from Dolly's Mom on this site).

JW Holey Rollers, for anyone interested in this in particular. You can find them at PetSmart. Source: I work at PetSmart. ;)

So I picked a name Arancione (Arrie for short) and he loves his new terrain!
69318b80ad804d3727ca5fe48ebb7ce8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My snake loves to hang out in a paper towel roll. I put the aspen on top so it doesn't look like he's living in a recycling bin lol. It's also very easy to replace, and often makes it easier to get him out of his viv, because I just pick it up and gently coax him out.

My snake loves to hang out in a paper towel roll. I put the aspen on top so it doesn't look like he's living in a recycling bin lol. It's also very easy to replace, and often makes it easier to get him out of his viv, because I just pick it up and gently coax him out.

I thought of that but wasn't sure is that would be ok to put in. Thanks

That's great! The good news is they never outgrow their love of tunneling in the aspen. You should see both my snakes' tunnels. Really fun.

We took Arrie out of his viv for the first time last night. He was very skiddish at first but calmed down after a few minutes. We didn't keep him out long. But when he went back in he went under the aspen and didn't resurface again until tonight. My husband took him out again and we both held him and put him back. This time he stayed out and is chilling and wondering the viv like he always does [emoji2]

That sounds like really good progress! Seems like Arrie is getting used to his new family! Well done :)

Thanks everyone, I also ordered him one of those JW Hol-ee roller toys, it's shaped like a football and he can use it as a jungle gym. I will post pics when he starts using it!

A few more questions for the group. Is it normal for a young corn to be very stif and not friendly when being held? How long before he gets used to it and relaxes? Is it months? Or does it depend on the snake? I am concerned about Arrie and his behavior when we handle him.

Well my young corn by young i mean 2 years old, hes very inquisitive and moves around alot and never strikes at me, i can gently put my finger ontop of his head and he dosnt mind,

But rexy my 8 year old corn thats another storey, if i did that with her i can garantee she would strike at me,

I guess it depends on the snake and how gentle you handly it

Hope this helps

Yes it is typical that a youngster is less comfortable being held. I can't begin to describe the difference between a six week old and even a six-month-old. While it is true that they all have different personalities, you cannot predict that a little one will not calm down. Even an older individual that may have not been handled much, can certainly calm down with consistent gentle handling.

Little story here--

When I was considering adopting my Mandy, who has now been with me for just over a year, her description said she did not like being handled. In fact it may have been one of the reasons that she was not adopted for nearly 2 years. When I got her of course I went slowly and gave her a chance to settle in just like any new snake. Long story short she is very chill and relaxed now. She is handled just about every day that she is not in shed or not digesting.

No matter what, all younger corn snakes are more skittish than older corn snakes. My 21-month-old is just as chill now as my adopted adult by the way. It takes time to raise a youngster. The calmer, more confident and consistent you are, the better.

Back