• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new true blood red!

recycling goddess

addiction addict
okay, i finally found myself a cornsnake, after looking for 3 months. originally i wanted a creamsicle but i've decided on a blood red instead.

i'm setting up his viv... i know they don't have super specific requirements for heat and humidity (like my ball python)... but can you let me know if he'll thrive in my set up please?

a rubbermaid container 6" tall 23"x17". it's just a baby approx 12". i'll put a few small hides and a water dish (not deep) on the outer walls of the viv, with aspen shavings and a piece of driftwood (baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes) - holes drilled for ventilation of course.

am i missing anything? it'll be sitting on top of my balls viv and i have a heating pad sitting on top of his viv to keep the temps up (until spring comes with nice weather) and so my new corns viv will be warmer at one end than the other.

i can definitely get a probe for temps in his viv if needed... no problem there.

so... does this seem like a healthy environment for my new guy?

i'm guessing i'll be feeding FT since he'll probably be eating large pinkies or small fuzzies right now.

Check the temps to make sure. If you're heating your python's cage with a pad from above, I bet the pad is running a bit hot for use underneath a cornsnake cage. Keep the warm end temp in the corn's cage around 82 to 86 degrees F. Make sure it's humid enough when he's shedding. That should be about it.

Oh, and make sure the thing is escape-proof. A 12" snake can probably get out of almost anything.

And at 12" it's probably eating small pinks still. Two small pinks might even be pushing it. Is it really 12"? Measure with the snake measuring software on serpwidgets.com.

sounds good, id definatley buy a thermometer with a probe, just to make sure you dont accidentally have the heat way to high. other than that my old cornsnakes do fine on heating pads, at the lowest setting. sounds like he or she will be happy!! goodluck

excellent.

i'll do that :)

i don't plan on having the corn viv sitting directly on the heating pad (my ball of course has an UTH as well) but i'll make sure it's between 82-86 degrees.

thanks so much :) (i'll make sure it's escape proof!)

Where in Canada are you? Bloods are one of my fav's. I have one on reserve that hasn't even been coneived yet..LOL. Your avitar is nice!! I look forward to seeing more pics!

Where did you get your bloodred from? I'm looking for a girlfriend for my boy to be.

Kathy

i picked him up at a local pet store (hidden reef in abbotsford bc)... i know everyone there really well and am friends with the reptile lady LOL - and so i know she got him from a breeder (although she can't tell me which breeder for obvious reasons {i would get him cheaper from the breeder than her})

pm me if you want the phone number to see if she can order you one!

i brought him home tonight... and he's an absolute sweetheart! he's eating 2 live pinkies once a week... and they can order them in for me, so that's great. i'll keep him on live since i feed my ball live as well.

now, just to pick a name! here's a photo of him... i gave him a good looking over... and didn't see any mites - so that pleases me!

cornfeb06.jpg

Back