• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newly hatched baby!

Jessica71

Well, after my first ever baby corn pipped yesterday I woke up this morning and he was out of his egg! He is just so beautiful - I'm in love!! He feels so soft and delicate and is so gentle - not at all aggressive. I know lots of people on here have experienced this many times but I'm new to it and I just can't believe how amazing it all is! A new creature who wouldn't have existed without my help! Mother is anery, father normal striped and I guess this baby is normal striped (?motley). I'm pleasantly surprised as I was expecting all normals - I didn't know my anery carried striped genes!

My other nine eggs haven't even slit and it's over 24 hours since the first one slit. This egg was on its own, and seemed less turgid and actually not such a good egg as the others; the others are in two groups, one of four and one of five. I'm a bit worried as they seem pretty turgid - have done for some time actually, but the humidity is 80% and I don't see that there's much I can do now anyway. What do you all think about how long I should give them to slit and whether I should help them along?

Thanks a lot!

Jessica :)

Attachments

• first baby 29.7.05.JPG
    first baby 29.7.05.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 170
Wow, that's a beautiful baby, congratulations! I know some other people on the forum have been experiencing some long incubation times so depending on how long yours have been "cooking" I'd probably just leave them alone for now. The eggs look really nice in the picture.

Your anery female has to be het striped, because that indeed is a striped normal. It is also het anery since the mom is anery.

Beautiful baby, Jessica! Congratulations!

Thank you so much, and thank you for the advice! I'll leave them alone. I'm so excited I can't concentrate on work today!

Yes, the baby is het for anery and if it is a female, in a few years I could breed it with my anery striped male and maybe get some anery striped babies! (looking rather far into the future!).

Thanks again,

Congrats!

Looks like they were bang on cue after all then. My first this year was a day or two ahead of the pack as well so I'd just leave the rest of them to it as well.

Good luck with the rest of them. :)

I will, definitely!

Thanks for the reassurance, Colin. I do tend to look for trouble sometimes... "what will happen if they don't pip in 48 hours", etc etc, instead of just waiting! I'll cross that bridge IF I come to it!

Thanks! I can hardly believe my luck, getting a perfect little striped baby - it's like all my Christmases come at once! I was almost sure they would all be normal corns, and was perfectly happy with that - but a striped...

I just had a last look for tonight (11.30pm here) and one of the other eggs has slits in it! A third looks more sunken in than earlier - like the hatchling is absorbing the yolk! I wonder what pattern these ones will be... They do seem to like the night time for coming out. I won't look again till tomorrow to give them some peace, but am so excited! This is the most exciting thing ever!

Well, here is number two which has just hatched - a classic corn this time! Three more little heads pipping, so it's all happening! They're pipping from left to right, so it was obviously warmer on the left side of my incubator. This one is really friendly and crawled all over my hands!

Attachments

• Copy of P7300054.JPG
    Copy of P7300054.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 109
I was so excited when mine were hatching! It was all I could do to keep my hands off and leave them alone. Good luck with them all!

Thank you! Yes, it's so hard to concentrate on anything else, I just want to keep touching them and watching them, but I know they need their privacy like all of us! I've put this new little one in a small container with damp paper towel and a little water bowl and tiny hide, and he's crawled under the paper towel and curled up - he's so cute! :)

Gee Whiz Jessica, now you have me all excited too! Can't wait to see what the rest of them turn out to be. How cool to get a striped one. That normal is cute, too, and nice! what a bonus.
Marsha

Yaaaaay for Jessicas babies!!

Well done! I have clutch number 3 just starting to have the pre hatch dimples and it's as exciting as ever! That's a gorgeous little baby you have there but just something that I don't think has been pointed out...you would call that one a 'motley/stripe' or a 'striped motley' as it has a copy of motley from one parent and a copy of stripe from the other. -See how the stripes are connected in a ladder kind of way; a snake that has 2 coppies of stripe won't have any of that 'crossing'. I have a lovely normal striped motley too who is almost a total stripe(by looks) but has a couple of motley spots down near her tail end and your has the motley up at the head end!

It's a gorgeous little baby. Are you keeping any of the babies or will you sell them all on.

Cheers,
Adèle

Is the motley an anery motley? Or het motley? If not, then she is het striped and that is a normal striped not a normal striped/motley. I have had some babies from a striped x striped crossing that have those little "hatch" marks.

I even have a clutch hatching right now from a normal striped x anery motley and some of them have a few abberant checkers on their bellies. I have learned that there are some that never quite follow what is expected.

The anery isn't motley (she's on my avatar actually, gravid in that picture), so I guess she must be het stripe. We now have FOUR striped babies and the one normal, and a sixth one has made a slit in its egg! All seem gorgeous and healthy. Two of the striped ones have a pretty much full stripe, the other two have those little joining bars at various points. Do those bars disappear then? I assumed they were there for good. I think they're really pretty and original!

Thanks for all your messages - I'm so surprised and feel very lucky to be getting striped babies! I wonder if the other five eggs will be striped or normal...it should be 50% of each, shouldn't it, from an anery het stripe and a striped?

Jessica71 said:
The anery isn't motley (she's on my avatar actually, gravid in that picture), so I guess she must be het stripe. We now have FOUR striped babies and the one normal, and a sixth one has made a slit in its egg! All seem gorgeous and healthy. Two of the striped ones have a pretty much full stripe, the other two have those little joining bars at various points. Do those bars disappear then? I assumed they were there for good. I think they're really pretty and original!

Thanks for all your messages - I'm so surprised and feel very lucky to be getting striped babies! I wonder if the other five eggs will be striped or normal...it should be 50% of each, shouldn't it, from an anery het stripe and a striped?

Looks like she is het stripe :D Congrats for such a lovely bunch of babies! The cross hatch things will probably stay, but they may get lighter and less noticable as the babies mature. And yes, you should get approximately 50% stripes and 50% normal patterned.

Yes, that's vermiculite, and as Colin says that or sphagnum moss will be great.

Thank you everyone - wow, what a great experience this has been so far! I feel very lucky. Latest count is six healthy looking, adorable little hatchlings, four striped and two normal - another normal was out this morning! Two more eggs pipping too, so only two to go! I'm so happy! :)

Back