• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

non feeder (help)

So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??

So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??

Thats my plan if he will take a live pink, then I will probably feed him two or three times that way. Then see if I can get him to take the F/T, from what I have read most will switch over, I just need to get him eating. Fingers crossed!

No worries. As I said before, for a pet I was going to keep or as a favour to save someone else's pet, I'd tube feed if necessary. Losing a pet is heartbreaking.
For my breeders though, live is the limit I'll go to and even then I'm constrained by live feeding being so difficult here. You cannot buy a live mouse as a feeder. You cannot buy live pinkies. If you get a hatchling started by breeding your own pinks (totally legal) any new owner cannot legally buy live pinks, so you have to get the snake feeding reliably on FT before it goes to a new home.

Well, I have everything lined out, for the new arrivals. While a little worried, it is hard not to be excited, as I do have a female coming which is currently feeding, the male was free ,as the current owner dosnt really have time for a non feeder, so just a plus. Both are Ultramel Lavender ph motely, I know all about the big ultra hybrid ,not hybrid thing ,but I think these particular snakes are gorgeous and like the look of the Ultras myself. I want to thank everyone for their help and ideas in dealing with a non feeder. I feel much better about dealing with this now, I will keep you all posted on how feeding gos. The soonest I can get a live pink will be Friday, so if they ship today, if not they will be shipped Wed.

for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.

for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.

Thanks, mini4x I have been looking for an explination of slap feeding as it was suggested, but I could never find a how to.

Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.

Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.

Of course, try what ever you want may be he will take it. LOL, sorry I guess I could have just named the saler instead of talking third person like that.

that's ok! I don't mind at all. It probably wouldn't have mentioned the name of seller either.

I'm gonna try slicing a pinky here in a minute. Might work, might not, but anything is worth a try. I kinda tried slapping last time but it didn't work. This guy is so tiny and frisky! He needs handled more, he rattles his itty bitty tail, lol!

Hey, Kathy did you ever try a live pink with him? You kind of threw me off when you posted that question up there. I kept thinking surely she isnt asking me lol, I have no earthly idea why. My local raiser of feeders, should have a freshly born or very close to pink aviable to try once he settles in here.

Nope.. I didn't. I have trouble finding them here. If you have live, that would be a great idea.

Tonight I cut a frozen one in half and I have to check on them, but sometimes they don't eat until later.

Any small size would work for him, he's very tiny.

Sounds good, I am sure something will work with him, just let me know how it gos. Live pinks arent hard for me to get I just have to get to her store befor she freezes them. I called today, and asked her to hold me at least one or two smaller ones. She said they would be waiting on me. Hopefully if he dosnt eat tonight the trip will get him going.

Yeah, I will post on is progress. Think the first thing I try will the live pink, they should arrive here in about 2hrs.

Well they arrived safely, one small but fiesty male, and female who has obviously been feeding both are gorgeous. Both did find their water bowls, and believe it or not the male actually seems more active than the female right now. I want to give them both a couple of days to get acclimated, befor trying to feed. Ill get some pics up, after they get used to their new home. I am considering trying the live pink on the male Sat. morning thinking the long trip might have him ready to go, well see.

Back