• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

normal getting bigger....

Camberwell

good day all,

just wanted to share a pic of my normal now its shed again.....

dscf4289.jpg

just a quick question tho, the last two sheds he has had a bit of skin left on, and I've given him a very shallow bath in the sink, after the initial shock of getting wet he has a little swim :)

anyway am I doing the right thing giving him a bath?? all the skin comes off in the water and then he seems to enjoy slithering through a little towel afterwards :)

to me it seems to work well and I'm quite happy doing it, but is that a good way to do it??

thanks

Martin

Hi There!

Gorgeous snake you got there!

Giving them a bath is not a problem at all! Much better than leaving the skin on, especially if it's right at the tip of the tail! Just as long as you don't use soap and the water isn't too hot. lol Personally, I always make the water a little warm because I don't know if it's good to put them in cold water... :santa:

The reason I ask is that I went into a pet shop recently and happened to mention the skin thing, and when I said about the sink her face looked at me like "NOOOO dont do that!"

so I thought I'd check

and yeah the two times I've done it, warm water seems best :)

thanks again
Martin

Well, my normal guy lost the very tip of his tail (Its hardly noticeable) because he didn't shed all the way and I didn't know what to do about it. So I think it's always best to rather get it off! lol

Also,I heard sometimes they don't shed properly because their environment is a little dry so giving the viv the occasionally misting with water should help too! :santa:

Oh definatly wanted to get it off, I like my snakey to look nice :)

The lady in the shop suggested just wetting my finger and rubbing it on the skin, which may have worked first time as there was only a little bit on the side, but this time there was a bit on the tail like a sock so I figured a bath was in order.

I've decided I'm gonna start spraying a bit when he turns blue to aid in future sheds, thanks for that

Martin

Good looking normal. A larger water bowl might help also--large enough for you snake to submerge in just incase he decides to. Ive heard swimming is good excercise for snakes. I have had the tail tip thing happen to me too and I just wet my fingers and rubbed it off. .

Lupe gets regular (like, once a month) baths because she refuses to go anywhere near water of her own accord. While she absolutely HATES baths (as you can imagine), they seem to do her no harm, and it's the only way she can shed properly. I've tried misting her cage daily, but she still needs the baths. I was beginning to get worried that bathing her might be stressing her out too much or harming her, but the guy at my pet store said it was fine. I guess my point is, I don't think baths are a bad thing, but I am by no means an expert.

Sarah

Back