• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not What I Was Expecting...

I opened the egg tub to put some foot powder on an egg from another clutch (same bin), and instead, I found PIPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had these eggs calculated to hatch on April 10th (which, on double-look, it should actually have been April 8th)

But either way, they are hatching earlier than I expected. From what I recall most of my corn clutches have hatched on or very close to their 60 days, so to see 9/11 eggs pipped this morning was a welcome surprise :)

Goldust Hurricane Motley x Fire ph. Caramel Lavender

10178_529544303755303_1508307925_n.jpg

As of now, I'm thinking NO on the Caramel proving out, DARN!

Oh well, can't wait to see what is inside!

So exciting! I can't wait to see the babies. I also have a question - why are they on that rack, rather than right in the substrate?

Love your pips! Can you tell the noobie what the arrows are on the two eggs?

No problem! I use 6 quart bins for the corn snake eggs, and the bins are big enough to hold more than one clutch. Both the eggs with arrows on them were loose, they weren't adhered to the egg clump for whatever reason and I wanted to prevent them from rolling around. So I kind of just sandwiched them between the 2 separate clutches. I put the arrows so I knew which egg belonged to which clutch.

So exciting! I can't wait to see the babies. I also have a question - why are they on that rack, rather than right in the substrate?

I prefer SIM - Substrateless Incubation Method.

I used to incubate with the eggs directly in the moist vermiculite, but I lost a few clutches that way. I was using a Coleman cooler as the incubator, and I was getting so much condensation that it was actually dripping down on to the eggs, and no matter what I did, nothing worked. I think it's due to the area I live, I'm right on the ocean basically. It gets warm during the day but cools off drastically in the evening and overnight.

With SIM, I can have the egg tub at 100% humidity without actually worrying about any moisture whatsoever touching the eggs. This method (for me, anyways) produces zero condensation on the inside of the tubs, except for the last few days of incubation, once the eggs start denting in (the babies are absorbing their yolk sacs). We now have a wine-fridge incubator for the corn eggs, and so far it has worked flawlessly. The temps are so steady, I love it!

No problem! I use 6 quart bins for the corn snake eggs, and the bins are big enough to hold more than one clutch. Both the eggs with arrows on them were loose, they weren't adhered to the egg clump for whatever reason and I wanted to prevent them from rolling around. So I kind of just sandwiched them between the 2 separate clutches. I put the arrows so I knew which egg belonged to which clutch.

I prefer SIM - Substrateless Incubation Method.

I used to incubate with the eggs directly in the moist vermiculite, but I lost a few clutches that way. I was using a Coleman cooler as the incubator, and I was getting so much condensation that it was actually dripping down on to the eggs, and no matter what I did, nothing worked. I think it's due to the area I live, I'm right on the ocean basically. It gets warm during the day but cools off drastically in the evening and overnight.

With SIM, I can have the egg tub at 100% humidity without actually worrying about any moisture whatsoever touching the eggs. This method (for me, anyways) produces zero condensation on the inside of the tubs, except for the last few days of incubation, once the eggs start denting in (the babies are absorbing their yolk sacs). We now have a wine-fridge incubator for the corn eggs, and so far it has worked flawlessly. The temps are so steady, I love it!

That is such a good idea!. In the UK here, and when we bred our corn snakes the eggs were put in a LuckyReptile incubator at 30 degrees (maybe bit too high we know) 2 eggs went bad within the first few weeks, towards the end the moisture in there was dripping down onto the eggs but I wiped it away every day and luckily 4 hatched. the other 5 we were told by the pet shop (after worryingly waiting 3 days since first pip) that they had drowned because they couldn't get out (they were fully formed) :(. I know here in the UK people have different opinions to those in USA but would you recommend making little slices in ALL eggs once they start pipping, to give all babies a chance of coming out? A few people have said yes and a few people have said no. You seem to be way on top of things so thought I'd ask you for next time (if we choose to breed again).

disgurlchar, I would never ever recommend cutting corn snake eggs, or any eggs for that matter. "Cutting" is popular in the ball python world, but I am not exactly sure why. I personally think it is BS and literally the only purpose it serves is satisfying a breeders curiosity.

I actually posted a thread last year of some ball python babies hatching, and somebody said "WOW you did a real hackjob cutting those eggs open, how many times did you slit the eggs!?" And yes, they were being completely serious.

I had to turn around and say "Ummm guess what?? That is what eggs look like when the babies hatch NATURALLY. I know that might be a foreign concept to some people, but snakes don't saw off the entire top half of their egg to get themselves out."

That shut them right up!

The reason I don't recommend cutting is because it has no benefit, and you don't actually know what is happening inside. Once you cut it, you open the egg (and snake inside) up to a whole world of bacteria, and perhaps even mold. If that snake doesn't come out right away, you will have to cross your fingers that mold or bacteria doesn't kill the baby.

My suggestion would be to invest in an incubator that can keep STEADY temps. That really is the key, as I have found out. Unsteady temps are what cause the condensation.

Like I said, my egg tubs are at approximately 100% humidity, and I don't get any condensation issues anymore, because my incubator is well enough insulated to deal with the ambient temperature swings in the room.

Anyways, here is a little teaser until tomorrow. A quick cell phone snap, but I have some photos from my DSLR to post once I get them processed.

Final count:
6 Amels
5 Ultramels
All are 100% het. Bloodred, Caramel, Motley.

Unfortunately the Fire male did NOT prove out his ph. Caramel :(

Oh well, now I know!

734566_529850303724703_1241827027_n.jpg

Thanks SquarmishSerpents, I did think to myself that if they didnt manage to "pip" then they maybe wasn't fit enough for survival out here anyway. Was a shame as if they had of hatched we would of got 4 different colours out of one clutch :( (im still trying to learn about corn snake morphs) Thanks very much for your advice - you have a good set up and some pretty babies :)

Don't discount the caramel quite yet. 11 eggs is definitely not enough for a sureity on the het not being present.

Look at my clutch history:

Ghost het amel to anery het amel: 15 aneries, 1 snow.
Ghost het amel to amel het anery: 7 amels, 4 aneries, 4 snows, 0 normals. Not a single normal.
Charcoal to butter: 18 normals and amels in the first clutch. clutch #2 had one egg go to term and it had a butter in it. The female was a virgin.

Your odds of no caramels is 0.04% which is far better than the odds of no caramel in 18 eggs which is 0.0003% :p

I've seen the SIM method used a lot with balls, but I hadn't seen it before with corns. I'm interested in trying it this year. Where do you get the grating from?

Good point, Shiari!

But I should have had some Goldusts and butters in there, who knows maybe I will repeat the pairing next year! The Fire was sold to me as 66% ph. Caramel so I guess we won't know unless we try again.

Funny how the genetics work sometimes!

Also I buy the plastic grid at Home Depot. You should be able to get it at any big box hardware store!

Whoops, finally getting around to posting these!!

April042013001_zps47e3233a.jpg

April042013004_zps9e012458.jpg

April042013005_zps51a23bbb.jpg

April042013007_zpsef9ae4d4.jpg

April042013008_zps34b42c7b.jpg

April042013011_zps793296d3.jpg

April042013012_zpsf9f8364c.jpg

April042013014_zpsb77c4102.jpg

Every season I think to myself "Is it even POSSIBLE for them to be this small!?!?" Yes, yes it is!

April042013016_zpsb20b388e.jpg

April042013017_zps691075f1.jpg

All babies have shed, and all but one ate on their very first offering. STOKED on that!!

Back