• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

offspring production ?

Divado7

first, i have male and female regular corns. there the normal colors. now just wondering when i mate them what are the possibilities for their offspring. will they all be the same normal colors cornsnakes like their parents? or will i get some cool looking morphs?

second, what if i mated my regular male corn with another female breed of corn like a candy cane or something besides normal. what will happen? can you do this?

thnx

ps. i really care mostly about he first question.

You will most likely get all normals yes, however you could get something else depending on what your corns are het for (what other genes they carry, do you know what their parents were?)

I wouldn't even breed normal corns. Who is going to buy the babies? If breeders sell them for $15-20, what do you think you could wholesale them to a petshop for? Not much. Unless your normals have hidden genes, and both have the same hidden gene, all you will get is normals, no matter what you breed them to, in the first generation.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/spencer62/cornprog.html

This is a cool program that tells you what you will get with various combinations.

Nanci

Most corns these days are het for *something*. Breeding normal x normal will yield normal offspring... unless the parents are het for traits you don't know about. Even then, the traits must match to get offspring homozygous recessive for those traits.

If you breed a normal het for one trait & a normal het for a different trait, you will get normal offspring with a 50% chance of carrying each trait.

Example 1 Parents het for 2 different traits
Male = het. Anery
Female = het. Amel
Offspring predicted as:
---------------------------------------------------
100.00% Normal(50% poss. het. Anerythristic, 50% poss. het. Amelanistic)

Example 2 Parents het for the same trait
Male = het. Amel
Female = het. Amel
Offspring predicted as:
---------------------------------------------------
75.00% Normal(66% poss. het. Amelanistic)
25.00% Amelanistic

Hope that helps :)

I would think that they would all be normal corns, unless they just happen to be heterzygous for the same mutation.
best of luck to ya!

Back