• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Peaches

chelzzer

Alrighty well I haven't ever really made a thread on here just to show off her beauty so I figured it was time. After going through the section that contains tips and tricks for photographing snakes I pulled my camera and snake out and gave it a shot. They didn't turn out the greatest but I think that's due to the lighting, I live in an older house with no ceiling lights (GAH!! And I hate lamps too lol...) so I had to go in my sunroom and it was pretty cloudy out today. Also, the funny looking spot on the top of her head is nothing to be concerned about. She somehow tore that scale off and it's entirely healed now, just a small piece of scab left.

And also, if anyone has anymore tips as to how to get a snake to calm down and stay still for even a fraction of a second, please fill me in lol. I tried many of the suggestions on here, from the covering with a hat/etc for a few moments all the way to sitting her inside something. The moment I lifted the hat off her, she started to take off instantly. And she refused to stay in any bowl/etc that I put her in. I noticed on other sites, people recommended putting your snake in a cloth bag, and sitting it in your fridge for a short time to cool the snake down and in turn make them slower (read between the lines: lethargic) and good for photographing. I, however, will NOT be trying that method and am looking for alternate means to keep an overly active snake still. Hahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4288.JPG
    IMG_4288.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 88
This thread is going to be rather pic heavy AND will likely be a few posts because I think I have 20-some photos that turned out decently... lol

Attachments

• IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4308.JPG
    IMG_4308.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4330.JPG
    IMG_4330.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4332.JPG
    IMG_4332.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 86
And yes.. For everybody's information, Peaches IS the boss lol.
Need proof? She just got a 200gal tank all for herself.
Watch the progression of the tank cleaning/decorating here

Attachments

• IMG_4352.JPG
    IMG_4352.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4360.JPG
    IMG_4360.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4353.JPG
    IMG_4353.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 83
A few of the very limited number of full-body shots I managed to get lol

Attachments

• IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4372.JPG
    IMG_4372.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 84
And that's it... FOR NOW.
*dun dun duuunnnnnnnnn*
:crazy02:

Attachments

• IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 82
Great photos.

Thank you! I enjoy doing photography on my spare time so I somewhat know what I'm doing, but she's just so darn squirmy haha. And those perfectly-in-focus flicking tongue shots still manage to evade me no matter what I do haha.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Beautiful photography and beautiful snake! She looks great on the blue background. The only method I have ever found that works for getting a snake to sit still is setting an opaque container over top of them and leave them be for several minutes (depending on how active they are). Then remove the container, take some very quick pictures, and put it back on once they start to get antsy.

My favorite type of container to use is one that is slightly translucent, so I can see which direction they're facing and get my camera ready for that angle.

Beautiful photography and beautiful snake! She looks great on the blue background. The only method I have ever found that works for getting a snake to sit still is setting an opaque container over top of them and leave them be for several minutes (depending on how active they are). Then remove the container, take some very quick pictures, and put it back on once they start to get antsy.

My favorite type of container to use is one that is slightly translucent, so I can see which direction they're facing and get my camera ready for that angle.

I will try the opaque container next time! I was using the green basket to cover her, perhaps just being contained but not in the dark will work better for her. I actually got the idea to use the blue blanket from another post I read about the 'blue bowl' technique for snakes that are predominantly red, or at least red based. But I don't have a bowl large enough so I used the blanket haha.
The point you make about being able to see how the snake is facing is genius!! I never would have thought of that. That would have been helpful today, hahah

And while I've got this thread up.. Can anyone venture a guess as to her age??

When I got her last October, the man said she was about a year old but I immediately thought she was too big to be a yearling. But I could just underestimate the growing speeds. He was not the breeder, so it's very possible he didn't know the age OR just lied about it lol.

It's been absolutely impossible for me to get a length measurement on her. I've tried many times and she just won't slither straight along the wall's edge, she always veers away and she's too squirmy to try and run a string along the length of her body lol.

But she currently weighs 333.6g empty (and that weight is as of 5 minutes ago lol) and is eating adult f/t mice every 7-12 days, as needed. I watch her behavior and feed when she gets hungry, which isn't really back to a set schedule since her spring fever.

Wow! I loved every photo you took. Your snake is just lovely. Thanks so much.

Oh thank you! Peaches is blushing as well, lol. I'm happier with her every time I handle her. When I got her, she was VERY tank territorial (not sure what else to call it lol) and was flighty and very bitey inside her tank but was a doll once she was out. Now I can confidently go into her tank, pick the hide up that she's inside, and pick her up with no worries of being bitten. A little love and dedication goes a long way!

Oh that is awesome. I love to hear how a snake progresses form defensively wild to noticeably more tame every time you pick it up. I have noticed several of mine doing the same thing. I did have to laugh about the bag in the freezer deal. I immediately got this image of me chilling on the sofa watching my favorite show, then heading to bed just to wake up in the morning and remember that I left the snake in the freezer! Peaches is a real cutey.:)

I thought your pics were great! I love the coffee cup idea. My ultramel would fit right in lol. Peaches is a cutie! And I'm VERY glad you aren't going to try the refrigerator method lol. What is wrong with people??

Oh that is awesome. I love to hear how a snake progresses form defensively wild to noticeably more tame every time you pick it up. I have noticed several of mine doing the same thing. I did have to laugh about the bag in the freezer deal. I immediately got this image of me chilling on the sofa watching my favorite show, then heading to bed just to wake up in the morning and remember that I left the snake in the freezer! Peaches is a real cutey.:)

Yeah, it is very interesting to see them learn and remember things. I wish they made snake treats or something, it would be so cool
to teach them tricks haha! 'give a kiss' or 'shake a tail' or 'hug' hahahah.

I thought your pics were great! I love the coffee cup idea. My ultramel would fit right in lol. Peaches is a cutie! And I'm VERY glad you aren't going to try the refrigerator method lol. What is wrong with people??

Thank you! And yeah, it's one of those giant prank mugs from the dollar store, usually it sits on the lid to her tank to hold it down lol. And I know, right?! I couldn't believe that people actually do that. And I found it suggested in more than one place, so I get the feeling it's used somewhat frequently :S

Back