• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

I always thought there was an un-written rule here that you can't post miss information as a newb might see it an think it's o.k. Like if I said its O.K. to change the water every month as the don't drink much, or keep your temps at 65-70 and they're easier to catch.
So can't this pro-co-hab thing be relegated to the miss-information pile and people warned about persistently banging on that it fine. After all it has been said that experienced keepers have managed it, but some of the experienced newbs are calling it now and it gets boring.
After all snakes are cheap and the set up costs so if a new newb keeps reading that its possible how tempted are they to get that second snake
MIKE

You cant call it mis-information as you say yourself some experienced keepers do it and many do in the Uk at least, not many would argue that its positively beneficial for the snakes but they do say that they have had no problems either, as said previously its a matter of opinion I personally have a pair together but my hatchllings are seperate as I aknowledge the possible risk to them .And the anti co habbers bang on much more, you generally dont get the co habbers attacking non co habbers for their opinions

You cant call it mis-information as you say yourself some experienced keepers do it and many do in the Uk at least, not many would argue that its positively beneficial for the snakes but they do say that they have had no problems either, as said previously its a matter of opinion I personally have a pair together but my hatchllings are seperate as I aknowledge the possible risk to them .And the anti co habbers bang on much more, you generally dont get the co habbers attacking non co habbers for their opinions
Cohabbers don't attack non-cohabbers because they have no ground to stand on. What would a cohabber attack me about? That I care to much about my snakes and spend the money to see that they have a proper home. However cohabbing does have risks that i have never hear properly refuted.

I can call it mis-information, when I know that a newb might read it and think they can get away with it.
Besides, I cannot see the need to do it, tell me one benefit you get from co-habiting, that I can't get keeping them alone. Because I can give you one benefit keeping them alone that you can't get.
MIKE

Of course you don't. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. What are they going to attack, the fact that we non-cohabbers are keeping a solitary species in solitary conditions?
Definitely a 'quote of the week' contender!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What I meant is I may differ in my opinion over this or other issue but i generally wouldnt accuse anyone of not caring for or mistreating their snake for doing something that not everybody agrees is the best or only way to do a thing.

Plus the main point of what I said was that you cant call it mis-information as no one is saying its ideal nor claiming its the only way to do it, nor are we saying their may be no problems so were is the mis-information, its simply a differing opinion and as valid as any other here.

I liken it to circus performers. That is to say. Before the high wire act takes place young and impressionable people are warned "these are experienced people.. don't try this at home"
It's the same here.
MIKE

What I meant is I may differ in my opinion over this or other issue but i generally wouldnt accuse anyone of not caring for or mistreating their snake for doing something that not everybody agrees is the best or only way to do a thing.

Plus the main point of what I said was that you cant call it mis-information as no one is saying its ideal nor claiming its the only way to do it, nor are we saying their may be no problems so were is the mis-information, its simply a differing opinion and as valid as any other here.

See lampy, you do have a point. BUT many of us feel that since there are KNOWN risks in cohabbing, people who are aware of these risks yet continue to cohab, really DON'T care about the health and well being of their snakes. One of my snakes DIED as a result of being cohabbed. Anyone who knows snakes can die from it, yet continue to do it, really are not responsible pet owners IMO, and I will tell them so!

See lampy, you do have a point. BUT many of us feel that since there are KNOWN risks in cohabbing, people who are aware of these risks yet continue to cohab, really DON'T care about the health and well being of their snakes. One of my snakes DIED as a result of being cohabbed. Anyone who knows snakes can die from it, yet continue to do it, really are not responsible pet owners IMO, and I will tell them so!

*light bulb moment here*. This was a point of view I didn't truly see till now. While I believe that I had some idea as to why people seem so aggravated about cohabitating, your comment helps me better understand why people react they way they do to those who practice cohabitating..(this doesn't mean that I agree with the way they react to cohabitators or that I believe that cohabitators don't care about their snakes)..but it helps put into perspective why. Thank you Starsevol:)

*light bulb moment here*. This was a point of view I didn't truly see till now. While I believe that I had some idea as to why people seem so aggravated about cohabitating, your comment helps me better understand why people react they way they do to those who practice cohabitating..(this doesn't mean that I agree with the way they react to cohabitators or that I believe that cohabitators don't care about their snakes)..but it helps put into perspective why. Thank you Starsevol:)

Anytime, Kai :)

Unfortunately, it can't be misinformation. While cohab is (again, in my personal opinion) unwise and detrimental to the snakes, it *CAN* be done successfully. So saying that you "can keep two snakes together" is technically correct. Is it a good idea? Evidence would suggest not. Should anyone do it? No. Can it be done? Yes.

While I see the point (and can definitely appreciate it), it can't be considered blatantly untrue.

I liken it to circus performers. That is to say. Before the high wire act takes place young and impressionable people are warned "these are experienced people.. don't try this at home"
It's the same here.
MIKE

Well thats fair enough, seems a good way to say it!

why you go away and this thing blows up.

Since i seem to be the only one to step up here, i cohab my snakes, am I a newbie yes, did i read on here all about co-habing before i did it yes. I also talked to people outside this forum and who own reptile shops, and i dont mean petco, and they all said that you can house two corns together. While i cant say they are doing better or worse if they were not living together, i know this they are eating regularly, havnt eaten each other, and have more than enough space to move around. Do i not care about my snakes, NO, if you see the way my dogs live you know i care about animals.

Do i care if you value my opion not really, most have made it a point to bash and redicule any one who co-habs. This is a public forum so everyone has their own opions and has the right to say them, with every forum you go to there are always the fanatics that have to everyone follow their ways if not are bashed. Thats ok i can handle it. Hopefully we can all be adults( well the ones that actually are) and help those that actually have problems with their snakes even if they co-hab.

omg!!! thasshocking, we dont have many rep stores here but the ones we do have are sensible and all snakes regardless of size are housed seperatley

Unfortunately, it can't be misinformation. While cohab is (again, in my personal opinion) unwise and detrimental to the snakes, it *CAN* be done successfully. So saying that you "can keep two snakes together" is technically correct. Is it a good idea? Evidence would suggest not. Should anyone do it? No. Can it be done? Yes.

While I see the point (and can definitely appreciate it), it can't be considered blatantly untrue.

I keep reading people saying "Can it be done? Yes" And I think a newbie looks at that and says, well then Ill do it so I dont have to buy another tank, cause it can be done.

"It can be done successfully"

Can you explain to me how?

Lets say I wanted to cut back and get rid of a tank right now. What do I have to do to co-hab successfully and what are the exact steps to take to know when I sleep at night and wake in the am, those two snakes are going to both be there in the morning alive?

Cause all I see is "It can be done" but I dont see instructions on how.

This is just my opinion, but its irresponsible for anyone to post "It an be done successfully" without 1) detailed instructions on how to do it succesfully and a note or disclaimer that if someone indeed follows the instructions that may have worked for someone else, they can still wake in the morning to find two dead snakes.

I dont believe in it can be done. A broken clock is right two times a day, but its still broken.

Hopefully we can all be adults (well the ones that actually are) and help those that actually have problems with their snakes even if they co-hab.

I think that that's the most important thing.

[But I'm sure that some may believe a cohabitating snakes problem (I.e not eating) could be due to stress from cohabitating, amongst other things;*deep breath* hennnnncccce, the subject would most likely flare up time and time again:confused:]

I keep reading people saying "Can it be done? Yes" And I think a newbie looks at that and says, well then Ill do it so I dont have to buy another tank, cause it can be done.

"It can be done successfully"

Can you explain to me how?

Lets say I wanted to cut back and get rid of a tank right now. What do I have to do to co-hab successfully and what are the exact steps to take to know when I sleep at night and wake in the am, those two snakes are going to both be there in the morning alive?

Cause all I see is "It can be done" but I dont see instructions on how.

This is just my opinion, but its irresponsible for anyone to post "It an be done successfully" without 1) detailed instructions on how to do it succesfully and a note or disclaimer that if someone indeed follows the instructions that may have worked for someone else, they can still wake in the morning to find two dead snakes.

I dont believe in it can be done. A broken clock is right two times a day, but its still broken.

Actually, Justine... if you read this entire thread, you would notice that I am very "anti-cohab". When I'm saying that it can be done successfully, I'm citing that there are people who keep multiple snakes together and have it work out. I'm not going to advise ANYONE to do it, or ever suggest to a newbie that it is okay. I will never give anyone instructions to cohab their snake.

If anyone decides to cohab, they are taking a risk. I'm not going to instruct them how to cohab. However, I am a fair person. I acknowledge that some people do cohab snakes without problems. This is BY FAR the exception rather than the rule - but that doesn't mean we can completely ignore it.

It's not irresponsible. It's being honest.

You *can* keep a snake without any extra heat source. In fact, I have a few without heat right now. I'm waiting on my rack, and the heat that's coming with it. To compensate, I keep those snakes in a warmer part of my house, and have been feeding smaller (yet slightly more frequent) meals. I do it. Would I recommend it to a newbie? NO. I have done several things to lessen the chances of having problems. I won't go into them here, but I am carefully monitoring the situation.

In short, that is why THIS page exists. Notice there is a long section from Kathy Love about both cohab and going against the recommended norm. It has been done. I'm not going to lie to someone and say that it can never be done successfully. I will tell someone that it is not a good idea and they will probably not be able to do it.

Back